First photos?

Aivariukas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey! One day, I told myself "dude, you need to find some activities suitable for you". And you know what? I just really wanted to try photography. Last day, I took some photos with my new camera.

I need to ask you, can you rate these photos from 1 to 10? Thank you :) {sorry for my bad english LoL}

Greetings, and welcome!

Unfortunately, these are nothing special. With a few minor changes, each of them could have been much better, but then you're just learning, so I can't expect perfection.

Overall, considering all three shots, the biggest fault lies with the backgrounds. So work on seeing the backgrounds as you're taking photos, and you'll get better pictures.

OK- you're shooting a D40 and I going to guess you have the 'kit' 18-55 lens, since all three shots are in that range and your aperture doesn't dip below f/3.5. Not a lot of megapixels in that camera and the AF is not state-of-the-art but you can still capture some great images with that rig.

Designer is correct on the backgrounds. I would ditch the landscape orientation and crop #1 in prortait to minimize the distracting background. Keep at it and welcome aboard!

the biggest fault lies with the backgrounds. So work on seeing the backgrounds
What do you mean about that?
Learn to see the entire composition, realizing that the background is also a part of the photograph. Find a position or camera angle to minimize distractions seen in the backgrounds.

Learn to see the entire composition, realizing that the background is also a part of the photograph. Find a position or camera angle to minimize distractions seen in the backgrounds.
Actually, I still can't understand what's wrong for example in photo no.2 ... because for me, all these photos are good... Can you send me some examples?

you're shooting a D40 and I going to guess you have the 'kit' 18-55 lens
Yeah, I'm using D40, but my lens are 35-70...

doesn't dip below f/3.5
What is that?
The 'f' setting is the aperture. This is an adjustable circular diaphragm that allows more or less light onto your sensor (or film in the old days). When the "hole" is wide open, you have a small 'f' number and a small area of focus. Things in front your your subject and behind your subject will be blurry. When the 'hole' is shut down tight, you will have a large 'f' number and a much larger area in front and behind your subject that is in focus.

People spend lots of money for lenses with very low 'f' numbers so that they can intentionally blur out the background of their portraits while having sharp subjects. Your third photo is a good example of blurred background, though it is not quite blurred enough to avoid being a distraction, and your subject (up close) is nice, but not really compelling. A lens with, say, f/1.4 would have blurred out the background significantly more, but at a significant financial cost to purchase.

BTW, these aperture settings are called f-stops, and there is a scale which reflects a doubling of light needed for the same shot (1.4, 2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22). Google 'exposure triangle' for a detailed discussion. It's a little techy, but crucial to our art.

Last edited:

you're shooting a D40 and I going to guess you have the 'kit' 18-55 lens
Yeah, I'm using D40, but my lens are 35-70...

doesn't dip below f/3.5
What is that?
The 'f' setting is the aperture. This is an adjustable circular diaphragm that allows more or less light onto your sensor (or film in the old days). When the "hole" is wide open, you have a small 'f' number and a small area of focus. Things in front your your subject and behind your subject will be blurry. When the 'hole' is shut down tight, you will have a large 'f' number and a much larger area in front and behind your subject that is in focus.

People spend lots of money for lenses with very low 'f' numbers so that they can intentionally blur out the background of their portraits while having sharp subjects. Your third photo is a good example of blurred background, though it is not quite blurred enough to avoid being a distraction, and your subject (up close) is nice, but not really compelling. A lens with, say, f/1.4 would have blurred out the background significantly more, but at a significant financial cost to purchase.

BTW, these aperture settings are called f-stops, and there is a scale which reflects a doubling of light needed for the same shot. Google 'exposure triangle' for a detailed discussion. It's a little techy, but crucial to our art.
Oh.. Now I understand much better, but I also have some question... My camera is not too old? and is it good for beginners? Cause, I don't know a lot about cameras...
Maybe one of these cameras are better? Can you recommend?
Veidrodinis fotoaparatas NIKON D3400 + 18-55mm VR

Veidrodinis fotoaparatas Canon EOS 1300D Kit + EF-S 18-55 IS

Oh.. Now I understand much better, but I also have some question... My camera is not too old? and is it good for beginners? Cause, I don't know a lot about cameras...

I'll let canon shooters speak to the 1300D, but I can assure you that the nikon D3400 plus 'kit' lens is technically a much better setup than the D40 due to major advances in technology (focusing systems, image quality in low light, vibration reduction, etc).

That all being said, the D40 can still produce some lovely images. Look at the eyes in your cat photo- great focus and clarity. A great photographer with an 'ok' camera will get much better images than an 'ok' photographer with a great camera.

Obviously, we would love to be great photographers with great gear at some point! ;)

I'll let canon shooters speak to the 1300D, but I can assure you that the nikon D3400 plus 'kit' lens is technically a much better setup than the D40 due to major advances in technology (focusing systems, image quality in low light, vibration reduction, etc).

That all being said, the D40 can still produce some lovely images. Look at the eyes in your cat photo- great focus and clarity. A great photographer with an 'ok' camera will get much better images than an 'ok' photographer with a great camera.

Obviously, we would love to be great photographers with great gear at some point! ;)

Out of the 1300D and the D3400 the Nikon wins every time. If you are considering Canon the very least I'd look to would be the T6i (750D) as it has a newer sensor (24.4mpx). The 1300D has a 10 year old 18mpx sensor in it and badly needs upgraded. So out of these two I'd go with Nikon.

I need to ask you, can you rate these photos from 1 to 10?

doesn't dip below f/3.5
What is that?
Based on the above I would suggest you use the search on here and search exposure triangle or look through the beginners section. There are some great suggestions for books on photography.

In the future when asking for critique or CC providing some background on the image can aid the commenter to try and provide you the most useful information to help you grow.
A few things to consider providing are below.

Camera, lens, lights and settings are near mandatory.
Why did you shoot the image? To learn an aspect of photography? Paid shoot?
What did you like about the shot or what photo/thought inspired the shot (only provide a link if it's not yours.)
Where do you think you need to improve? This is your self evaluation. This can guide the commenter towards the help you are looking for.
Finally, if you are looking for help ask one or more specific questions. This is the only way you will get accurate answers.
Anything short of above will get you nothing but opinion since the commenters will not have a framed question to answer.

In short "CC welcome" and questions like it is extremely lazy. You should expect equally lazy responses.

But why some people says that D40 is fine, some says I need to change my camera?
We have a classification of people we call; "Gear Whore". Don't listen to them.

Welcome to TPF. The D40 is a decent shooter...I have made thousands of good photos with WORSE cameras than the D40. I bought my former wife a D40 and 2-lens outfit for Christmas one year, and we both shot it quite a bit. It has a nice CCD image sensor that has a "look" to its pictures.

The D40 is one of the FEW d-slr cameras that can shoot flash photos at VERY high shutter speeds, without the need for an FP Synch flash unit!!! It is BETTER in that regard than dozens of newer-type cameras from Nikon,Canon,Sony, or Pentax!

As Designer said in the first reply to your psot, these are nothing "special", and are in need of better composition, better image proicessing, better everything. But DO NOT DESPAIR!!!! You are in the early stages of your photo career! Your photos WILL get better!

Get a book or two about Photography, from the library. There are likely at least 100 books on photography in your local branch library. Start learning some stuff about composition! You will progress.

The D40 is more than adequate for thousands of photo situations.

Most reactions

Back