First Photoshoot - C&C please

Noonz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did my first shoot on Friday. I don't have any equipment other than a D90 and 18-55mm. I'm not too disappointed with the results considering it was my first shoot.The PP effect i was going for was grunge/retro. Would like to hear your opinions. Thank you :)

The wall is VERY distracting :(
#1,2,7 - wall occupies majority of the scene which again is distracting.
3,4,6 - i like the composition.
Overall, processing and exposures seem well.
Something to keep in mind. Whatever it is that you're shooting should be the "center of attention".
Good Luck

I like your photography skills. Anything I say here is strictly from the perspective of a photo observer. Not crazy about the jacket and new Nike high-tops for grunge appearances. It totally messes with each pic. I prefer the t-shirt or another jacket choice that does not look so new and like "pleather". Well-worn shoes would tone it down a bit. Other than that, here is what I see in each pic...

1. I like the composition, exposure, colors and clarity but the crop is pretty tight on the left. The facial expression and body position do not detract but they are not adding any emotion. Not sure what to suggest, just seems too posed. The angle of the foot on the wall could be throwing me. The toe seems to angle out towards the camera by just a hair? What would happen if it were angled the other way just a bit (like he was pigeon-toed) ?

2. Like the angle you are shooting from and the retro tone. The model's smile seems out of context and the clasping of the hands also seems unnatural for the intended look you stated you were trying to accomplish. A prop for him to hold might be good.

3. I like it. Everything works. The cropping is very tight and crowded, but that might be the best approach. I keep wanting to see the model holding something in his hands in most of the pics but not sure what. Nothing wrong here, just something my eyes keep searching for.

4. I like this, too. Angle of the shot, facial expression (mistrusting...suspicious of you). Works for me.

5. Like what you were angling for...walking away and looking at the old rug. However, after I processed that part, my eyes wanted to know where he was going and it appears he is going smack into a wall. End result is a slight unsettled feeling. Maybe if his body was turned just a hair more towards the wall and face was looking farther back towards the other end of the rug ( and the foot remains in the walking position ) it might still possess the action and not look like he is heading into the wall? Not sure....

6. The angle and the crop and the composition look great but I am not liking this as far as the model goes. Lips seem to be trying to smile but not quite making it, jacket is screaming negative things at me (personal issues I have with jackets like this) and hands are clasped for lack of what else to do with them. Lose the jacket and the semi-smile and put a prop of some sort in his hands and I would love this pic. It has that magazine quality to it.

7. Another nice angle and he is without the jacket (good for me). The facial expression and the pose position are natural and fit my pre-disposed idea of what it should look like. Is the crop on the right side is too close?

Thank you both very much for the feedback! pcacj - Much appreciated. I've taken all of that in. Thanks again :)

Any other opinions? :)

Unless you were trying for it, these also seem to be tinted/shaded toward a light green.

You should probably take the model and rough him up some too, you know a fat lip and black eye will do, maybe a cut on a cheek bone to really seal the deal. (of course I am only kidding)

I'm not a fan of his facial expressions. That doesn't have anything to do with your photography, but an observation none the less. You really have to direct some models as to what you want to get out of the photo. Some will know what facial expressions are flattering to themselves, and some you'll have to tell. I've worked with a few models that knew what they were doing, and a few that didn't. However, since this is about your photography, I'll stop rambling and get to that.

1. The wall seems to be the center of attention, and he is just an innocent bystander.

2. Again, I'm drawn to the wall in the background.

3. Good composition, and the background is just that. A background. I like this one, and think it's the best of all of them.

4. Variation on #3, and I kinda dig it. It does seem a bit dark, however.

5. Kind of seems like you caught him just as he found a penny. I think if you cropped out the right portion of the wall it would be a bit better.

6. I can't tell you how much his facial expression in this one irks me. I'm not sure why, but it does. Also his hands being folded like that bothers me. Not bad photographic wise.

7. Again, too much wall.

Take everything that I've said with a grain of salt, though. Trust me when I say I'm still a n00b when it comes to portraits and shooting people. Like I said, though, you really have to direct some people to get the result you want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back