first photoshoot tips

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My mom's friend just had a baby, and i offered my services to take some shots of her newborn. I am not sure how i should go about taking photos of her baby! i assume i would get some great shots why the toddler is sleeping, but i dont know how good the lighting is at the house and i dont have a large flash. I will be limited to using my 50mm 1.8 and hopefully i will have my tamron 28-75 f2.8 that i just ordered by the time she would want me to come over. Any tips?

Your 50mm will be fine. Bring a tripod if you are worried, and do some longer exposures. It is a new born, so it shouldnt be too mobile.

are you going to ask the baby 100 questions about what lens you should get next?

sorry i couldn't resist

are you going to ask the baby 100 questions about what lens you should get next?

sorry i couldn't resist

:lmao::lol::lmao:

The 1.8 would probably be your best choice if the lighting is poor. But I'm sure there are windows and such that the baby / crib can be moved to to allow for better lighting. So I wouldn't be too worried about that.

Search the interweb for examples of poses and images to get inspiration from

sorry i couldn't resist
Hysterical, made my morning :thumbup:

Anyway, yes, the 50mm is a great lens to use for this shoot. Also, be sure to shoot the baby from their level instead of repeatedly shooting down on them.

Last edited:
Your 50mm will be fine. Bring a tripod if you are worried, and do some longer exposures. It is a new born, so it shouldnt be too mobile.

errrr... noooo.

never a good idea to shot people w/ a long exposure.

how about... a flash! not a "large" one? do you have a... small.. one?

How about 300mm, and having the baby outside in natural light while you're inside avoiding lens flare?

errrr... noooo.

never a good idea to shot people w/ a long exposure.

how about... a flash! not a "large" one? do you have a... small.. one?
The pop-up flash is small enough :D

Yea, small and.. unusable!

If you really want to use a pop up, you COULD buy a Gary Fong puffer for 30 bucks. It's a diffuser that fits over your garbag- i mean pop up flash.
The only downside if that you're using a product made by a glorified real estate agent who calls himself a photographer :lol:

To get serious for a minute...

If the baby is asleep, you probably could get away with using a tripod and long exposure.
By "long exposure", I mean somewhere around 1/20th. You shouldn't need to go much slower than that.

i reccommend going to a local independant photography shop, ask them if they rent out equipnment, if yes as much it would be to get a flash for the after noon /. day and you will take it back to them the next day

Most reactions

Back