First Photoshoot W/ Models

Stamp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Actually, it's the first real time I've been able to take pictures with the new camera. Just came in last night. C&C and let me know what you guys think. These models were very high dollar though, so I couldn't get much more than a few shots with them. ;)

4170676342_3c3455c996_b.jpg

4170674292_0de0b8bd0c_b.jpg

4169912685_3dd8b2c4c8_b.jpg

4169911911_4da891c6f5_b.jpg

4170675158_7f5315f80c_b.jpg

4169916789_aa188df45c_b.jpg

And an attempt with some low light shots.
4169928659_75f3520f61_b.jpg

Thanks for checking them out!

ahh the on-camera flash, it hurtssss

and also, never ever ever never ever never ever ever cut off body parts in portraits

The first one is is cute, I think it would have benefited more from the tree being in the empty space to the right of her. I also respectfully disagree with the never, ever cut off body parts advice. Portraits would be pretty boring if they were all full body compositions.

I think overall these are some pretty good photos. I, as someone said before, would like to see the girl or the tree in the open space to the right of the first two. Regarding the third, it seems a little blurry, either due to slow shutter speed or missed focus. It also seems a little yellow; maybe try correcting the white balance. The fourth is cute, but the fingers at the bottom are a little distracting. I like the placement of her relative to the string of lights going down the rail. The fifth doesn't really do it for me. However, if you're the parent, I can see why you like it. The sixth is ok, but it'd be nice to see the whole tree.

As far as on camera flash goes, you play the cards you're dealt. Not everyone can have off-camera flash, especially while first learning photography.

As far as cutting off limbs go, well, never say never. It is a general "rule" to try to avoid it. However, there are many, many, many, successful photographs, both famous and not famous, that cut off limbs or parts of heads/faces. When you post photos for critique, especially as a beginner, you will get a few people (who were "beginners" not too long ago) tell you to do this and do that because a book or website said so. We are all beginners to a degree. Photography is an art. There is definitely room for flexibility. However, it is a good idea to learn the rules, then realize when to bend them or even break them.

P.S. Two tips: you may get more c&c with fewer images; you may get more c&c if you number your images.

and also, never ever ever never ever never ever ever cut off body parts in portraits

Never? 'Cause countless print ads and photograph series might disagree with that.

To the OP, you have a solid red wall - and it's X-mas. Use that to your benefit, instead of shots with a tree stuck in a corner. . .photo has a very hard "line" to it, where your eyes are like car-jacked into looking where the lines point instead of a pleasing transition. I don't find the flash use inappropriate here as there are no hard shadows (which has me curious as to whether this was lighted with an dedicated flash unit); first shot is cute - I just am not, in any way shape or form, digging the background. That white baseboard is killin' you.

Everyone,
Thanks for the critique and comments. These are the first photos that I've posted up, so next time, as advised, I'll number them and so forth. I think I ended up taking 128 photos last night, and I'm sure most of you know how difficult it is to take pictures of squirming kids. :)

I did my best with the lighting in the Christmas tree room with a chair and a light on its side off to the right of the photos, and an 'octopus lamp' with lights kind of going everywhere behind the camera. I tried using the on camera flash as sort of a fill flash, and also I wanted to keep a lower iso.

And one day, I'm going to get some umbrellas just for Inst!nct. :p

Again, thanks for the comments.

Oh, I almost forgot. All the photos were taken in the manual mode. I'm trying to stay away from auto, so it doesn't become a crutch for me later on, so if you see anything that could be better by adjusting something (besides white balance... I need to read up on that), let me know! Thanks.

You should probably stop critiqueing images.

i think he baited you, but im not sure.

it seemed too strong to be sincere.
ever, ever, ever, ever....etc....

is someone being a prankster here?:scratch:

Honestly...My favorite is the last one! Nice bokeh...Also I like the human warmth captured with the inannimate ascpet of it. I really like this one!

By the way...Being a newb, I'm not qualified to critique the technical stuff...LoL. My opinion only counts (I think) in regards to the "mood" or "essence" of the shot. =)

The closeup looks really grainy to me. Did you crop it really tight? You may want to try to get closer to shoot that if you want that as a pic. If not I am way off base. Also, (AND I KNOW THEY ARE KIDS) but if you can get them to sit still long enough you could do a longer exposure shot in front of the tree with no flash and the lights will show up much better.

Honestly...My favorite is the last one! Nice bokeh...Also I like the human warmth captured with the inannimate ascpet of it. I really like this one!

Thanks for the comments Olympus... I used two candles for light on the front of the statues.

The closeup looks really grainy to me. Did you crop it really tight? You may want to try to get closer to shoot that if you want that as a pic. If not I am way off base. Also, (AND I KNOW THEY ARE KIDS) but if you can get them to sit still long enough you could do a longer exposure shot in front of the tree with no flash and the lights will show up much better.

Hooker, I did crop it a lil bit. I checked the settings I used on that one and they are as follows; 1/25 sec; f5.0; 0.0 EV; ISO 800; Focal Length 35mm. The original is below. Hopefully you can come to a conclusion given those settings?

4173029398_c511277519_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back