First pic! C&C please. Nature photography

NikonNewb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got the photo bug and recently picked up a dslr. Haven't really gotten a chance to use it yet until today. Went outside in the yard to see if I could find anything interesting. Saw a spider web with dew drops on it and snapped a pic. Please critique. I thought it looked best in black and white. I'm sort of new to photoshop in that I don't use it very often but I did manage to turn down the green levels to make the leaves look a little darker so the dew drops would stand out more. I think my main problem at this point is learning how to aesthetically frame a picture. Tell me what you like and don't like about this pic. I was going for making your eye travel up the tunnel of webbing.
<image removed>

Last edited:
I wouldn't have known that the water droplets were hanging from a spider web if you hadn't said anything.

I guess I'm having problems because, whilst interesting, the droplets just kinda look like they're hanging there between the branches, almost as if they are sitting on saran wrap between the branches.

Is the original shot in colour and can you see any of the web at all? I think if you'd composed the photo using the rule of thirds, perhaps the web may have shown up in the pic, or the droplets might not seem to show "be there" if that makes any sense.

More seasoned photographers will be able to make sense of what I've just said an hopefully offer better evaluation and suggestions.

Having said all that...not bad for right out of the box!

Your depth of field is so shallow, that it is hard to tell what we're looking at. Personally, the composition is not particularly interesting and I'm not sure that B/W is helping this one.

I think the real thing missing here is a subject ... what do you want the viewer to be looking at?

For a very good introduction to composition, let me strongly recommend "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman.

Keep shooting!

you can't see the spider? here, I zoomed in for you:

just kidding, there was no spider. :(
my subject was supposed to be the dew. I will pick up that book at the library, thanks!

Last edited:
you can't see the spider? here, I zoomed in for you:
300zf4j.jpg

just kidding, there was no spider. :(
my subject was supposed to be the dew. I will pick up that book at the library, thanks!

LOL.....I actually like the picture. Makes me look at it for a while to pick everything out.

its one of those 3d photos, cross your eyes and you can see a coupon for a free Canon 1Ds Mark III

wud be better if you focused on the web a little more...although interestng pic!

I like it. I agree it's hard to focus on what we're looking at, but I like the dew drops.

Most reactions

Back