First pic! C&C please. Nature photography

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by NikonNewb, Jul 2, 2009.

1. NikonNewb

NikonNewb TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Got the photo bug and recently picked up a dslr. Haven't really gotten a chance to use it yet until today. Went outside in the yard to see if I could find anything interesting. Saw a spider web with dew drops on it and snapped a pic. Please critique. I thought it looked best in black and white. I'm sort of new to photoshop in that I don't use it very often but I did manage to turn down the green levels to make the leaves look a little darker so the dew drops would stand out more. I think my main problem at this point is learning how to aesthetically frame a picture. Tell me what you like and don't like about this pic. I was going for making your eye travel up the tunnel of webbing.
    <image removed>

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. Barking Mad

Barking Mad TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wouldn't have known that the water droplets were hanging from a spider web if you hadn't said anything.

I guess I'm having problems because, whilst interesting, the droplets just kinda look like they're hanging there between the branches, almost as if they are sitting on saran wrap between the branches.

Is the original shot in colour and can you see any of the web at all? I think if you'd composed the photo using the rule of thirds, perhaps the web may have shown up in the pic, or the droplets might not seem to show "be there" if that makes any sense.

More seasoned photographers will be able to make sense of what I've just said an hopefully offer better evaluation and suggestions.

Having said all that...not bad for right out of the box!

3. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your depth of field is so shallow, that it is hard to tell what we're looking at. Personally, the composition is not particularly interesting and I'm not sure that B/W is helping this one.

I think the real thing missing here is a subject ... what do you want the viewer to be looking at?

For a very good introduction to composition, let me strongly recommend "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman.

Keep shooting!

4. NikonNewb

NikonNewb TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you can't see the spider? here, I zoomed in for you:

just kidding, there was no spider. :(
    my subject was supposed to be the dew. I will pick up that book at the library, thanks!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  5. hankejp

hankejp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

LOL.....I actually like the picture. Makes me look at it for a while to pick everything out.

6. Baaaark

Baaaark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Even though I agree with what other people said about it, I like it. Its very intriguing in a more abstract sort of way.

7. max3k

max3k TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    its one of those 3d photos, cross your eyes and you can see a coupon for a free Canon 1Ds Mark III

8. dak1b

dak1b TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    wud be better if you focused on the web a little more...although interestng pic!

9. Weaving Wax

Weaving Wax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like it. I agree it's hard to focus on what we're looking at, but I like the dew drops.