First Pic From D5000

I'm new to photos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
C&C please Just took today. and like the kid who got the D40 which I wanted but my dad said it was worth it if i stuck to photography, but ye annoying everyone with the pictures.

CSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Congratulations, that's a great camera!

Keep shooting and have fun :D

thanx I feel so retarded when I read some stuff on here cause I'm like wtf is that I don't really know how to work it yet this is my first camera ever

Ahhh, I remember taking my camera out for the first time and feeling so completely overwhelmed... I didn't even know it had a light meter on it or what it was for...LOL... I'm going to save you a tremendous amount of time by recommending the three things that have helped me to grow as a photographer... 1) Surfing and participating in this site. I have learned so much about photography through participation on here. 2) My other photography website, DPChallenge - A Digital Photography Contest
This site has weekly challenges, and this site will really help you to develop your eye and technique. A word of warning though, participating in this site requires some really thick skin because people are brutally honest. This honesty however, will provide the catalyst for your improvement... last but not least, 3) Buy the book "The Digital Photography Book, Volume 1" by Scott Kelby. Hands down the best book I have found that is concise and to the point. This book is a must for beginner to advanced photographer.

Lastly, keep shooting, there is no substitute for field experience. Good luck and keep posting...

Oh yeah, almost forgot, C&C. Picture 1, the lighting is okay, but the subject is centered and the top of the subject, the bottle, is cut off. All of the clutter is also distracting on the top of what looks like a fridge. What looks like the thermostat is also somewhat distracting too.
The second photo is honestly quite rough. The focus is okay, but the lighting is poor. I'm guessing you used the onboard camera flash, which is never sufficient for shots like this. What you would need is natural light, or an off camera flash that you could bounce off the ceiling. If you don't have an off camera flash, try opening up a window and letting in some natural sunlight. Be careful of your backgrounds, both pictures have very distracting backgrounds. I still struggle with this myself. Lastly, when photographing animals and humans, focus on the eyes. Well, that's about all I can cram in here, hopefully that will help alittle. Photography was very overwhelming for me as I knew nothing when I started. So if you have any questions, fire away, there's always people lurking around here willing to help

Well if you are looking for C&C:

1. The subject is dead center in the frame and the top is clipped off of the bottle. Google "Rule of thirds". It also appears to be slightly under exposed. The location of the bottle isn't particularly interesting either. This is more of a snapshot than anything.

2. This appears to be a side profile of a dog shot in near darkness with an on camera flash. Avoid using on camera flash unless you diffuse it with a business card or something of that nature.

There are 2 orientations you can use your camera in:
  • Landscape/Horizontal, which you have posted 2 examples of.
  • Portrait/Vertical, which you can get by rotating your camera 90° to the left.
Both of your images may have been better suited to the portrait/vertical orientation.

Camera handleing is inherently less stable in portrait mode, unless the camera has a second shutter release for the purpose.

Pro level cameras have that 2nd vertical orientation shutter release built-in. Most digital camera makers offer an add-on vertical grip that provides the second release, controls and the additional benefit of holding a second battery.

For entry-level cameras, 3rd party vertical grips are usually the only choice, if one is desired.

Most reactions

Back