First pics please comment and advise

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by hyg71886, Jun 23, 2008.

1. hyg71886

hyg71886 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Please comment and give me advice on how to take better pics, etc. I really liked these 3.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    njj[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Rachelsne

Rachelsne TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    number 1, I would have got closer to the couple so you could see them better. Also If you really wanted to keep the trees and sky in the picture, try using a polarising filter, that would sttop the sky from going white like that.

2 lovely and sharp, but the bug, which I assume is the main subject, is kind of hidden and your its not clear on what you are looking at.

3 I like this picture alot, it is my favourite of the set, the colours seem good (although my monitor is uncalibrated) the only thing I would sugest is not having the horizon so centered in the picture also maybe take into consideration the rule of thirds-which I always forget! :)

All in all a nice first set-welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy it :)

p.s number your photos for refference it makes it easier

3. sultan

sultan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I second Rachelsne.

BTW - Screw the rule of thirds, put the subject wherever you want. However, avoid putting the subject in exactly the same place every time because it will get boring. Sometimes, composing with the subject in the dead center helps the image but sometimes it gets dull. The Rule of Thirds is to spice things up and if you make your own rules, the better it gets.

4. hyg71886

hyg71886 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks i had a close up of the couple i just liked the way the sky looked like it was shining down on them like holy or sumthing

5. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Picture 1) You were shooting into the sun... sometimes this can't be helped but you need to learn how to keep from having too much light hit your lens. I see you were using a D40 and I bet it was with the kit lens since it was shot at 39mm... you can get a lens hood for your lens that will help, and barring that you can also take a bit of cardboard and shield your lens against the sun. However, this angle will always pretty well be blown out so it is best to avoid it when you can. As far as the subject matter goes, what is it that made you want to take this picture? was it the people, the bench, the trees? Whatever it was could be brought out more.

2) I agree with Rachelsne

3) Good start here on this one... I would advise you to look into getting a polarizing filter, which will really make the sky pop! You can fix that in post processing a bit if you know how... I personally would crop out some foreground because the grass really isn't the focus of the picture.

Keep at it, you are off to a good start.

6. hyg71886

hyg71886 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    is there any particular polarizing lens u recommend?

7. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, you can spend anywhere from $10 to $250 on one... since it seems a wee silly to put a $250 filter on a $50 lens (albeit a very good kit lens, it is still a kit lens)... I would go with something like the one I have on MY kit lens... which is this:

Tiffen Circular Polarizing filter (with UV Filter Twin Pack)

The filter sells for almost the same amount of money in a twin pack with a UV Filter as it does alone. I highly recommend a UV filter as well for lens protection if you don't have one.

It is actually not bad.

On my "good" lenses I use B&W filters, which are a wee more expensive... but really, not much more effective (I am just not going to put a $30 filter on at $1600 chunck of glass...)

I bought my twin pack at Staples for $29, strangely enough...

8. bahandi

bahandi TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with Rachelsne on 2.

As for 1 and 3, there was an excerpt from Bryan Peterson's book, "Understanding Exposure" that said something along the lines that trying to get everything in the picture, makes a less impacting picture.

9. darkpbstar

darkpbstar TPF Noob!

do not listen to the person who said "forget the rule of thirds...." There is this rule because our brains process images, and the rule makes the photos appear more attractive to us. Now the untrained eye may say, "wow what a great picture!", and when you post it here it gets torn up. You should get in the habbit of going by the rules, and it becomes second nature to you. I have more fun trying to set the photos up in a way that looks the most pleasing and unique, rather than throwing the subject in the middle. THat is more of a tourist thing to do. Other than that I'll agree with Rachelsne on everything else.

10. hyg71886

hyg71886 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanks for the feed back I'm gonna read up on the rules and hope it effects my pic taking capabilities

11. darkpbstar

darkpbstar TPF Noob!

good I'm glad you are going to look them up, it will be great for your photos, and make you look at different things differently, more creatively and artistically. Have Fun!