First pics with an slr, D90 please C&C

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by vinniemac3, Jan 6, 2010.

1. vinniemac3

vinniemac3 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    ok i just opened up the D90 today and started shooting, trying to mess around with different settings and get a feel for the camera, btw im still lost. lol. but if you could and dont mind please let me know what im doing wrong i'd greatly appreciate it. thank you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    These are not nice photographs. I understand you are new and all, but these are test pictures, things that were rushed.

I dont see the point of 1, the focus is off in 1 and 2, popup flash or harsh lighting in 3 and 4, composition issues in 3,4,5.

Keep practicing and when you have a shot that you feel is a photograph, post it up!

A good book to pick up is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Great read for a beginner (I loved it)

3. vinniemac3

vinniemac3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i actually have it and am almost done with it. its to cold to mess around outside so i stayed indoors and i dont get much sun so its all lamps for lighting. i see all these nice shots and im not really sure how to go about getting them myself, even shots of just random things in their house and i cant seem to duplicate it.

4. K.Li

K.Li TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Try to use a different mindset, although it seems like you take photos by what you see, you have to try and get yourself out of that and try see things in ways that you would not have normally.

If you want to take proper composed photos of ordinary objects at home, try to find something you wouldn't notice usually. Your stadium model would be a very interesting subject for your photos.

Also try isolating your subject, put the viewers focus onto it by using stuff like DOF or lights, let US know what YOU want US to see, and make it very clear.

There are a few examples in my flickr page, even though they are not perfect I think some do provide a clear picture of what I am trying to explain.

5. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    K.Li, I'd do the little "Thank you for this useful post" button, but I have used them up for the day. :meh:

Vinnie, to give you C&C you need to tell us what you were trying to do, and/or what you want your photograph to say, or emotion you want to get across, or what technical challenge you were trying. Photos are about the subject, how it is presented, how you want us to see it, mood, composition...just to reiterate K.Li :)

6. vinniemac3

vinniemac3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks for the input guys i appreciate it. ill see what i can come up with, apparently im not to creative lol

7. K.Li

K.Li TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am sure you are more creative then you think :)

The thing is with photography, I find that even though sometimes creativity does help, experience will play a much bigger role.

Keep trying and once you get the hang of it you will see angles and composition just by seeing objects without even looking through your viewfinder.

8. vinniemac3

vinniemac3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i think im in the habit of just snapping pics just to take them since ive always had a point n shoot. ill keep practicing and hopefully will learn all of the functions of my camera quickly. damn thing is confusing lol

9. K.Li

K.Li TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a D90 as well and I think its a great camera to start and learn with because it has all the funtion you would need without the extra high end features, which would confuse a beginner and also raise the price sky high.

When you are still getting use to the camera, use P/S/A mode at first to see what the camera tells you about the exposure, and try take the same photo again but tweak a few things here and there to understand how they actually affect the result.

Take many photos of the same subject, move around, move the subject around, try different lights by turning on and off different light in the room or using extra light source, even if it's just a simple LED light. Move the light around and look at the shadow on the subject and how different angle give a different feeling of depth and dimension.

10. iBats

iBats TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    !