first picture post

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by kornelius, Mar 25, 2004.

1. kornelius

kornelius TPF Noob!

I'm brand new to this forum and quite new to photography. Any comments would help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. malachite

malachite Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

Doing better than me. And your pictures are good too :p

3. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    dude, you've already got two hot models, so you ain't doing too bad ;)

the first photo irks me because you croped her head out. It irks quite a bit because everything else looks pretty darn good!!! I look the pose, the look and the colours and the sensuality. I am guessing you have some more nude shots that you are not sharing?? ;) Don't hold out on us mate!! :D. Despite the crop, i am really drawn to this photo.

Number 2 is a fine shot, can't find too much to comment on here :)

I like the angles you've taken in both of the photos, the photo one you've shot looking down, the last one you shot looking up. It definately gives the pictures a completely different story that your tradition eye-level photographic.

Oh, if you can tell us the gear you are using mate and any technical info such as shutterspeed, f/stop, whether used a trip and the phone numbers of the girls... ;)

I would have never guessed you were new to photographer with these shots. Awesome work mate!

4. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with Mark about the crop on the first one. If you come in tight on the other three sides I think it would be less noticable, but it's still a bit drastic. I don't have any qualms about cropping into heads, but it's usually only for tight portraits.

Other than that, I think they are damn good pics! No on-camera flash. Yay!

5. kornelius

kornelius TPF Noob!

I had to crop the first one because her forehead looked unusually large... maybe I should try showing a little more. I used my canon t90 with fujichrome velvia slide film at the program setting because I am quite the amateur. For the second one I used a medium format with a Ilford film... again set on program mode. As for the phone numbers... one girls taken and the other one's fifteen... sorry.
    Thanks for the feedback.

6. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, that's the danger of using a wide-angle lens for people pics. Using at least 50mm would eliminate that, but it can be hard in a cramped space like a bathroom. Could you post the full pic? If you at least had all of the eyebrow in I think it would help.

7. aggiezach

aggiezach Yup...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have to agree with the others about the tight crop on the head, but other than that... Wonderful composition! I especially like the 2nd one, just hits a chord with me! :thumbsup:

8. Karalee

Karalee hOtLiPs!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Man I dont know any newbies to photography that talk like that or use Slide film starting out - you may need to give yourself more credit the way these shots look.

9. c0ntr0lz

c0ntr0lz TPF Noob!

i would like to know where to get hottie models and take pix

great shots
    i like the look in the eyes of the 1st

10. kornelius

kornelius TPF Noob!

I would love to give myself more credit however the top picture is actually only the second roll of slide film I have ever used and I think I just fluked out... the second one was shot with the medium format that I used for the first time in my life... I think that was a fluke too. But suddenly I'm more confident!!! This is a lot different than having your friends and family say they like your picture because they have to.

11. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Heh. I know exactly what you mean. It wasn't until my peers started giving me compliments, some of them people who didn't have qualms trashing work they didn't like, that I started to get confident in my work being more than just self-gratification.

It looks like you have an eye that puts you ahead of the curve. A beginner's eye is usually "instinct". I put that in quotes because I don't think it's the same as salmon swimming upstream to mate. It's more unconscious choices based on observations made throughout your life. The trick is to get those decisions to be conscious ones so that you can get the results you want consistantly.

It's hard to say from only two images, and some of it might have to do with the models, but this is not what I would have expected from someone just starting out. My guess is that those decisions are much closer to the surface for you than they are for most people begining.

12. karissa

karissa The Untitled

Photos OK to edit
    You say you are an amateur but.... honestly.... you make me look like I don't know anything at all and I have been interested in photography for a few years. I'm not saying that I do know a lot because I consider myself an amateur but you are light years a head of me.