First pictures for C&C

stephras07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had the camera for a couple months, but haven't finished reading the manual yet (life with a toddler is pretty crazy, and most times I'm basically a single mom because of my husband's job).

All comments and critique welcome, I really want to learn and wish I had more (uninterrupted) time to do so!!

These are all taken in Japan:

1. Lotus Blossom at a Kamakura temple
DSC_0139.jpg

2. My daughter with a stone lantern
DSC_0146.jpg

3. Prayer flags at the Hachiman-gu Shrine in Kamakura
DSC_0105.jpg

4. Lantern in Tokyo
DSC_0076.jpg

I do know that the baby is over exposed. It was all natural light, no flash. I haven't done any editing to these pictures at all, not sure I would even know how to correct the over exposure.

Very cute baby. Seems like some greenish light coming out of baby's shorts. Maybe someone can enlight us with the technical term for this thing.

Thanks :) I'm pretty proud of her myself, but I'm a tad biased :p

I totally see what you are talking about - I hadn't noticed it before (due to dust and baby goo on my computer screen lmao). It is weird.

Pretty nice mix, good for someone just starting out. I like your choices of subjects.

As a general rule though; Try and place your subjects off center. Its a automatic habit for most of us, and we have to train ourselves not to. This explains it better then I can Here

#3 is your best image. Not just because of the rule of thirds, but also because of the leading lines created by the many flags.

Your daughter is quite the cutie. I believe the green smudge is called "ghosting" its a hard term to google. Too many sites about the paranormal :lol: (other photogs can correct me here this is just what I got from searching)Basically it is a digital artifact created by digital camera sensors, happens when taking pictures with high light contrast.(here its because of her bright shorts in the sunlight) If your camera has the ability, try and meter her shorts to expose for the bright part, that should help next time. Its weird that it happened here though, it usually takes brighter light to get ghosting like that but, it maybe just a fluke thing.

Keep taking lots of pictures.

In the second one my subject was really the lantern, the baby was just an extra bonus lol. I love those lanterns. I will try to remember about the thirds... It is automatic to frame things in the center.

Any idea how to remove the ghosting? Or to know if my camera can do that? I'm not sure I would know how lol.

All shots could be improved by some editing- cropping, contrast etc.

Would love to see some examples. I am fairly limited since I don't yet have any real editing software, just iPhoto.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back