First Pictures Taken with Cannon C & C Please

vinnie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took my kids to the beach. Help please with taking better shots. Ideas will be appreciated. I was going to turn some of them into black and white but I would rather take them in black and white and I am not sure how to go about it.

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

Hi there,

#1: try to keep your subjects out of center. Maybe read up on the rule of thirds (even though, of course, it doesn't apply to all pictures). Also the picture is slightly tilted which is sometimes a good thing but most often confuses the eyes a bit

#2: Be careful with cropping off bodyparts.

#3: is the best IMO, but again try to keep your subjects off center

Also a Cannon is a weapon - a Canon is a camera ;)

Thanks for the tips.
I have read the rule of thirds but when I get out there trying to get them to do what I want them to its hard to remember everything. You know how hard it is to get sisters to hug. lol I'm sure that I could do better with a zoom lense. My husband just bought me one today.

Imagine what it's like for a pro, monitoring 200 details for every shot instead of just 2 or 3.

It was a pretty good time of day to shoot, near enough to the 'golden hour.'

#1 is not a flattering pose. +1 on the tilted horizon looking unnatural.

#2 and #3 would have been even better with a touch of fill flash.

As soon as your eye gets to the viewfinder just say over and over again 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, to remind you of the ROT's.

After you've been doing it for a long time you'll just notice yourself naturally lining up based on the ROTs and looking for triangles (naturally triangles are very attractive, this is loosely based off the idea that sequences of 3s look much better then 2s or 4s, also why the rule of thirds is so important)

There are ways to break the rules and make it look good but first it is important to have a strong understanding of them

Most reactions

New Topics

Back