First pictures with D5000!

Gregry254

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As per title, I only picked it up last night and took a couple of shots.
I like the ones of my car, I dunno why but they make it looks strange? something to do with the flash being on maybe?

Was playing around with aperture priority and was going from one extreme to the other, guess it will come in time!

#1 Think everyone has tried this? lol
DSC_0008.jpg

#2 My first try at being "artsy" turned out too dark though?
DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

#5 There is no composition/point to this photo, I was just impressed at the clarity, since it was so dark in the lobby that I could JUST see the dog through the view finder, didn't think the flash would be so good!
DSC_0055.jpg

I have not done anything to these. (as you can see with the dog's eyes) They are straight from the camera to here, juts changed size once on photobucket.

Advice/comments appreciated :)

Are you using the in-camera exposure adjustment dial? All of the pictures look underexposed.

congrats:thumbup: .
I just got my D5000 too and i love it.

in-camera exposure adjustment dial?

I guess ill go read the manual lol I basically picked the camera up last night, went out and took pictures, I still have no idea what half of the buttons do, I was just eager to jump in there lol.

Just home from work so looks like I have home work tonight!

I like the ones of my car, I dunno why but they make it looks strange? something to do with the flash being on maybe?
There's a hot-spot on the bumper from the flash, but I don't think that's what you think is strange.

Most likely what you are noticing is the slight wide angle (there's probably a proper term for this effect - something about perspective?) which is making the area closest to the camera look larger than it really is. There's probably also a little barrel distortion going on too. Step back and zoom in and you should see that disappear. Or step forward and zoom out if you like the effect - experiment :D

Congrats on the new camera.

Are you using the in-camera exposure adjustment dial? All of the pictures look underexposed.

Can anyone explain this further? I read through the manual and have played around some more and the only time the exposure bar comes up is if you are in full manual mode.

Is there anyway of checking the exposure if you are in Aperture mode or Shutter mode?

(The ones I took the other day were in A)

shots are underexposed, especially first two, wtf is the second shot? Just delete that. First one is also a bit OOF, others with flash suffer too much from poor white balance.

1) don't center subject
2) doesn't do anything for me.
3) not bad has potential
4) crop off a bit of the bottom and clone out car
5) cool dog. seems like a snapshot

all pics are underexposed...

What should I do about the under exposure though? I was using Aperture priority, so when I set the fstop it auto sets up the shutter, and doesnt show me an exposure bar/anything to measure it by.

I love my d5000 too!:wink:.. in time.. you'll be shooting some greater shots :thumbup:
Just read the manual so u know your camera from the inside n out.

BTW, nice car pic in #3

What should I do about the under exposure though? I was using Aperture priority, so when I set the fstop it auto sets up the shutter, and doesnt show me an exposure bar/anything to measure it by.

If it did show the meter, it would just be in the middle anyway. Your options are -

Use exposure compensation. If you notice the shot has overly-bright areas which may cause the intended subject to be under exposed, increase the exposure. If there is a lot of dark areas which may cause the camera to over expose, decrease the EC / EV.

AND / OR

Check the histogram. There's lots of info here on how to read one, but basically it shows how many pixels are at a particular brightness level. Left is black and it moves through to white on the right. Again, use it with reference to what you expect from the subject you are taking - a dark photo (perhaps fireworks for example) will show most of the pixels on the left, and that's ok. If it's all up one end and you didn't expect it, then adjust the EC and take the shot again, review the histogram and repeat until happy ... ;)

AND / OR

If you really can't decide, use exposure bracketing and choose the best one when you get home. I find it more trouble than it's worth.

Most reactions

Back