First Portrait Attempts

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Alpha, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm just starting out with photography, basically. I'm 19, from Raleigh, NC but study in Richmond, VA. I'm very into portrait work and I'm finnicky about the native qualities of my photos, i.e. I hate digitally altering them. These shots are from the first rolls of film i've ever shot "professionally." I'd appreciate some critiques because I'd like to improve. The first shot was done with an ME Super using Delta 100, under flourescent lighting. The second was shot with a Graflex XL-RF using 400 Tri-X to compensate for low light (but gave pretty noticable grain).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Welcome! I'll share my thoughts. I find both images hold my interest. Both have a quality of purity... an honest look at your subjects.

In my desire to offer any critique, I wonder how the images are to be used. Presentation will factor in with these prints. I think they're technically good too.

BTW... what caused the ghosting in the image of the girl? Is it movement, or double exposure?

3. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    the ghosting in the second one is simply a matter of the rangefinder being slightly out of sync with the lens haha...essentially out of focus.