First portrait ever

Ripnowell45

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok guys now usually I dont get a lot of replies for my pictures but this one I think that I did pretty good. Please give me some feedback on the lighting and composition of the photo. This is my first portrait and want to know how I did.

bw.jpg

Unfortunately the most un-expert on portrait photography happens to be the first to give you a reply ... the emotions you captured here are very sweet, indeed.

How planned was this?
If planned, why this background?
Why on-camera flash as your light source?

Compositionwise I feel there is a little too much headroom above the man's head and too little room below his chin (cutting the little boy's fingers off).

A pity that the direct flash almost blows out the little boy's face.

I assume this portrait session was a bit spontaneous.
Was it?

Thanks Lafoto.. I guess it wasnt as good as I thought it was. lol

I will try and mess around with it a little more. This was not planned at all and I dont have another flash I usually do outdoor stuff as you have seen and never have really needed it. I adjusted the output level of the flash but I guess it still wasnt light enough.

I did not set this up at all I just had my camera out looking at pictures from the day before and I just pointed and shot and that is what I came up with.

i don't think so. i liked having the kid look at the camera.

also, this pose looks a bit forced on the child. perhaps a game or somthing silly could coax him into hugging dad instead of vice versa?

if not i think dad should be looking at him, or at the lens. also i would have the child lower in the frame and shoot it vertical instead of horizontal.

again, as la foto said, too much space at the top, not enough at the bottom

keep trying! i think your onto somthing.

I agree, the child does not look comfortable at all and it does look better with the child looking at the camera....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back