first portrait photography session

thebeginning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.danielcolvinphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
this is the one he chose as his main photograph. please critique harshly (except for the undershirt, i already noticed that ;) )

prestonwithguitar.jpg

Looks really nice overall. Great lighting. I'd give him just a bit more room around the edges, especially left, right, and bottom. I didn't check dimensions, but if you crop for an 8x10, the 5x7 fits inside of that, so you need a bit of extra room on the L-R.

I really like this. The only thing that struck me as a little odd was the head of the guitar with the tuning pegs behind his head like that. I really like the background and the lighting. Very nice.

nannabug said:
I really like this. The only thing that struck me as a little odd was the head of the guitar with the tuning pegs behind his head like that. I really like the background and the lighting. Very nice.

Exactally what I was going to say! The lighting is great and the background works well. The guitar behind his head was the only thing that seemed off to me.

here are some more from the shoot. one with the bass again, but this one was too tightly framed, so i didnt think it would be quite as good for him to use. these arent his favorites, anyway

prestobw1.jpg

prestoguitartightcrop.jpg

prestowithwaterfall.jpg

thanks for the comments, guys!

Very nice! I don't mind the t-shirt showing... it's not that large of an area, and a lot of kids like the "layered look." As for the tuning pegs, I don't mind that so much either. It's a reulst of posing the guitar neck at an angle, and the trade-off is worth it. If you want to get REALLY picky, add some tone to the one tuning peg that is reflecting the sky.

As others have stated, a bit less crowded would be great. Some general retouching to lighten the shadows under the eyes and you're done.

I would go back to this area time and time again!

Nice work!!!

wow thanks!

i'm going to post the original sized one when i can...it's not quite as tightly cropped. when you say to up the tones on that tuning key, what do you mean, like make it more 'reflecty'? It was quite bright actually, i toned it down because i thought it to be a little distracting.

Wow NICE!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I love the black and white ones. I agree with Christie Photo, not only is the location wonderful, but the shootin' aint too bad either!
Great Job!

thebeginning said:
when you say to up the tones on that tuning key, what do you mean, like make it more 'reflecty'? It was quite bright actually, i toned it down because i thought it to be a little distracting.

Sorry... that's what I was trying to say. Deepen the tone a bit more if you can, so it doesn't draw attention. But this is really pickin' nits!

ah ok. i appreciate the nit pickin' critique :)

i got some critique from a friend of mine too. she doesnt do any photography though, but i thought it would be good to get some more opinions. she didnt like any of them at all except for the first guitar one. then another person saw them and really didnt like the guitar one. it was then that i realized that the 'goodness' of a photo really depends on a person's opinion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back