First Portrait Pics - For C&C

spanner89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there, these are my first portrait shots whilst practicing with the girlfriend. Just wondering what your thoughts are on them. I need to change the background though, tried ironing it as it has creases in it, but ended up melting a bug hole in it!! :x

It may just be me, but I think they are all out of focus besides #2. And you have a little red-eye issue in her right eye (left to us) in #1. Sorry I couldnt be more constructive.

Mark

Spanner89:

Your girlfriend is good in front of the camera. Let me suggest you go back to the images you posted and look at images used in glamour mag's. Then ask yourself what's the difference? When you start answering your own question, you'll beging to get better.

Some sugg's:
Try to get some contrast between the backdrop and the subject. Unfortunately your girlfriends clothing blends right in to the background.

In addition, look at the color difference between images 1-3 and 4-6. Images 4-6 have a yellow cast to them. I'm not sure if you have a white balance issue or if you changed your lighting bewtween them or what?

I always try to put my subject about 6 ft in front of the backdrop. This allows you to place an additional light to splash up on the backdrop and position it to hightlight the backdrop between the shoulders. In addition, it helps to increase the contrast between the subject and the backdrop.

The 6 ft. distance bewtween the subject and the backdrop helps to put the backdrop out of focus. Remember the object is to answer the question - "What's the subject"? That means everything should be lighted and position to put all the emphasis on the subject.

Regarding backdrops. It sounds like you're using seemles paper for the backdrop. If so, then roll the paper up - don't fold it. This will help eliminate creases.

Try the sitting again and see if you can try to put more attention on the subject. Good luck!!

Feel free to post again or email me with questions.

I like #2, and #2 only. It just seemed "natural".

i'm only new to this but maybe try moving her further away from the backdrop then the sheet will simply look like a white wall. or even try a small light facing from the ground up towrd the backdrop to help even things out.

Hi thanks for the comments. Yer i did change the lighting half way through, was just testing to see what difference it would make. I will take some more pics soon, but putting your thoughts into consideration to help me. Was a bit tricky leaving a gap between the backdrop and the gf as was stuck in the conservatory, with the lights almost on top of her which i found a big problem.

Will take some more pics soon in a bigger room!
Thanks for the comments :)

Might be my laptop but the photos 4-end look to have some white balance issues. A very yellowish hue.

Might be my laptop but the photos 4-end look to have some white balance issues. A very yellowish hue.

Yer i noticed this too. These were the first pictures i took before i played around with the lights. If only my pictures would turn out like yours...:(

One day maybe... lol. I suppose practice makes perfect

Most reactions

Back