First portrait session

Samriel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My friend offered to be the model for me to play around with. These are the results. Learned and realized many new things, but still many things left to learn. Comments and critique welcome.

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0331.jpg

DSC_0341%20PS.jpg

DSC_0377%20PS.jpg

DSC_0434.jpg

DSC_0453.jpg

DSC_0462.jpg

DSC_0474.jpg

DSC_0540%20PS.jpg

DSC_0565.jpg

Last edited:
C&C per req:

1. This would be not a bad capture if it wasn't so overexposed. At least one full stop, perhaps one and a half. With the blown sky, I think this one needs to go back to the pixel room for a little more post.

2. Nice composition, but I think I'd prefer either straight B&W or colour. Try and avoid crops that result in little bits of things missing such as the underside of the little finger on her right hand. (I'll assume the softeness was intenional)

3. Nice exposure, and lovely expression; good eye treatment as well. On my monitor at least there's a rather unhealthy green caste to her skin however. A greater separation from the background might have helped to soften that even further.

4. Nice expression, good colour, maybe just a touch bright (< 1/3 stop), but not fond of the softeness. Given that this is a casual picture rather than a formal portrait, I think sharp focus on the face would help.

5, 6, 8. Interesting technique, but I think it needs a little less deep shadow.

7. Nice, but could have used a reflector on her left to reduce teh shadows on her shoulder and around her eye. Highlights on her cheek and teeth are just a little bright.

9. Perhaps open the crop up just a little more?

10. Needs just a little more detail on image left.

Especially when posting such a large number of images, please number your pictures so that there will be no doubt as to which comments refer to which image.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

Thanks for all the input John, I agree with most of your C&C. You actually helped me put some of my doubts and thoughts into words. And I'll edit the numbers in for easier commenting.

One is blown out! Two is my favorite. Love the shadows in #8. 9 & 10 look a little underexposed to me.

Nice work!!

Most reactions

Back