First portrait... Thoughts?

Rosshole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
4524472790_ebb3fbdbcb_b.jpg

Overall, pretty good. Lighting is a bit flat though, not my flavor. I like the crispy eyes and catchlights.

I think you did a good job, especially for your 1st. You obviously did your homework before you hit the shutter.
Beautiful model.
Nice pose, eyes in focus, catchlight.
The wb seems a little yellow on my monitor. Could be from a mix of ambient lighting sources and flash.

very nice. I would try to clean up her eyes a bit, they look a bit bloodshot...

Thanks for the comments!

i think there is a little too much space at the top. Also her face looks a little over exposed under the eyes and on the forehead.

overall a great first attempt! keep it up

I think for a first time shooting portraits, it is very good, obviously thought out. One thing I have noticed is the photo is a little shaky, not but much, but enough to notice the photo isn't as sharp as it could be. A rule of thumb for shooting portraits is not to go under 1/125 shutter speed. If this was over that, then I suggest using a tripod.

A rule of thumb for shooting portraits is not to go under 1/125 shutter speed. If this was over that, then I suggest using a tripod.
Totally disagree on shutter speed as #1 I've yet to hear that and #2 when situation requires have shot w/o flash at 1/30sec w/o any problem.

Nice portrait esp. for a first time shoot. You really paid attention to the details (no stray hairs in the face). You might want to touch up where her shiny shirt shows through her very black sweater on the left side of her chest. The bright lights on the right a bit distracting(mixing backgrounds that don't really go together).
Overall really nice!

Note to IgsEMT: I actually heard as a rule of thumb to not go below 1/60 shutter speed for hand held. But if you can do it w/o tripod great for you, this is why it is a rule of thumb (aka suggestion).

Note to IgsEMT: I actually heard as a rule of thumb to not go below 1/60 shutter speed for hand held. But if you can do it w/o tripod great for you, this is why it is a rule of thumb (aka suggestion).
Now below 1/60th, I know that one. :thumbup:
Below 1/30th is recommended to shoot with the flash BUT w/o flash pretend you're a sniper :)

Now below 1/60th, I know that one. :thumbup:
Below 1/30th is recommended to shoot with the flash BUT w/o flash pretend you're a sniper :)

I like to pretend I'm a sniper as they have way better lenses than I do!:lol:

just pp it a bit. Soften the face, get rid of the blood shot eyes, take care of the hot spot on her forehead. Beautiful lady nonetheless. Let me know if you need some help...I'll show you what I mean.

thanks again for the comments, I will do some PP on it soon here. This picture is going on my desk at work (It's my wife)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back