first portrait with new canon 50mm.

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Mark Cooper, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Mark Cooper

Mark Cooper TPF Noob!

2. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like that you blurrred out the background with a short DOF. I'm not a big fan of on-camera flash. It looks like you had a fair amount of window light there. Perhaps next time try it without the flash and have her face lit from the side by the window. Personally, I think the only thing on-camera flashes are good for are dialed back for a little bit of fill.

3. MommyOf4Boys

MommyOf4Boys TPF Noob!

I agree with Mark..it looks as if the on-camera flash was used, because her skin tones are kind of drowned out. Using natural light from a window is the best or if you dont have it, using a studio light or lamp works well. If you get shadows on the face from those sources, you can use a reflector (I use a $4 silver metallic windshield shade from Walmart haha) and it will bounce the light onto the shaded areas. I love the 50mm lens, it is an awsome portrait lens!

4. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

It's not too bad, but there are a couple of flattery issues: The lighting as mentioned above has bleached things and the skintone has suffered. You're a bit "in her face" as well.

I have a couple of ideas which would probably work well and improve the effect, especially with respect to the lighting. If you want me to demonstrate them, just shoot my a PM and I'll have a crack at editing for you.

Rob

5. Viajero

Viajero TPF Noob!

Like all said above, it looks like the in-camera flash was used. It almost looks as of your arperture was not open enough, unless of course you were too close, or 'in her face' as stated before.