First Post-C&C

jbreezy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone! I've only been reading the forums for a few weeks, and I figured I'd be brave and post. I got a Canon Rebel XS in November, and while I haven't had much time to get out of the lab (I'm a chemist) and take pictures, here are a few I've taken in the lab.

Let me know what you think.

IMG_2696.jpg

View from the lab window.

IMG_2718.jpg

Some pretty crystals. I think my focus could've been a little sharper in the center.

Don't care for the first image but the second image might work a little better is you shot it from a slightly higher point of view. The background blur is nice...just a hint of noise.

I definitely agree about the angle on the 2nd shot. I was even going to write that in my original post. Thanks for the comments!

I thought the first one could be more interesting with a little help...

Now, I have played with Photoshop CS4 some, but I've used Paint Shop Pro (now Corel) for years and years for other things, and just know where things are in it...

Here's what I did...

Remove digital camera noise
Sharpen more
Clarify
Adjust brightness/contrast (-5/15)
Adjust saturation (+50)

This is the result:

jbreezy1.jpg

I thought #1 was pretty interesting, too. So, I gave it a whirl in PhotoShop. I took out the modern building and added some more of the old fashioned roofs in its place (by copying a piece of the far right, then flipping it horizontal and moving into place and cleaning up with eraser tool). I also covered the kinda bright white object in the center right (is that a light signal?). And then I saturated the colors a bit. Even painted a little more yellow on the house. Brightened it a bit. Gave it an overall warmer hue (except for the sky). Don't know if you'll like it, but it was fun to play with.

JBBreezyWaterPicEdit1.jpg

Question: How did you get that giant white cat to pose with the sunglasses (center right foreground)? In any case, glad you're having fun with your new camera!

^^cat??

i think the first one has a very cool idea to it.

and that second one has some potential, anyways great first post i'd say!

Thanks for the comments and editing ideas! I actually posted the unedited version, but I did edit one similar to the first that was posted. Great work on taking out the building, etc! Haha, I see the cat.

I'm just about to download photoshop and attempt to learn how to use it. Obviously it's a very powerful tool.

i like the yellow house, didnt even notice before

Hey, Breeze: Get the full version of PhotoShop and then get an instructor: weekly class or weekly private lessons. Make a huge commitment and devote a good amount of time to practice. You'll be so glad you did.

This forum serves as a way for me to practice, especially since the straight type of street portraits I do require minimal Photoshopping.

Good luck. And looking forward to seeing more of your work...

Welcome to the forums!

I'm just about to download photoshop and attempt to learn how to use it.
There are several good books that you might want to get.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321580095/ref=s9subs_c1_14_img2-rfc_g1_si1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1PJD5RXPJX8M03T7WFNH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383351&pf_rd_i=507846"]The Adobe Photoshop CS4 Book for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-CS4-Photographers-Ultimate/dp/0240811186/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231438244&sr=1-12"]Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers: The Ultimate Workshop[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321534166/ref=s9subs_c1_14_img1-rfc_g1_si1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1PJD5RXPJX8M03T7WFNH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383351&pf_rd_i=507846"]Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596522967/ref=s9sdps_c1_14_img1-rfc_g1_si2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=1PJD5RXPJX8M03T7WFNH&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463383411&pf_rd_i=507846"]Photoshop CS4: The Missing Manual[/ame]

Obviously it's a very powerful tool.
Yes it is. Takes awhile to become decent at it too.

Most reactions

Back