First Post C&C

solnsin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just started thinking about taking my hobby to the next level, but wondering if I have any talent here or if I'm just partial to my pics... Thoughts?

CusterBadger.jpg

WolfsHeadDock.jpg

CRShip.jpg

Just started thinking about taking my hobby to the next level, but wondering if I have any talent here or if I'm just partial to my pics...

Depends on what level you wish to be on. What type of photography do you wish to pursue? Do you have the necessary equipment to accomplish that goal? Do you have the necessary business skills to accomplish that goal? Do you have the funds sufficient enough to reach that goal?

#1 looks rather flat to me, although I'm not sure what would improve it.

#2 I love the reflection, but I would have either tried to get more of the plants in the picture, or get them out of the frame completely.

#3 Is a great idea. If you are able to reshoot it, I'd try to get the nose of the boat in the frame too. And if you are able to reshoot it, I'd also do it either in the morning or late afternoon when the sun is low (instead of right overhead), shoot it when the sun is to your right so that it illuminates the side of the boat in the picture, rather than putting it in shadow. This should help even out the exposure.

Other than those tips, looks like you have some talent, just needs to be a little polished.

Thanks for the tips, #3 was when we were on our honeymoon in Costa Rica, we were actually on another boat that was docking so I couldn't get any farther away, but my thoughts were the same about the bow.

What kind of equipment are you using? If you're shooting film, what kind? If digital, what kind (brand and MP). I'm asking because they're decent shots, but the colors seem a little "washed out" to me which is generally caused by "cheap" color film and/or wrong speed/ISO. Similar for digital, low MP and/or wrong ISO. If you're using an SLR (film or digital), I'd strongly recommend shooting in manual mode.. it gives you full control over shutter speed, aperture, etc.. Take multiple shots of the same scene using different settings, note them, and then see which you like best.

It all boils down to practice, practice, practice =)

I'm pretty new at digital photography so I can't give any technical advice but I think all of these photos would benefit from some basic image editing.

For instance #1. I'd crop out the dark background, play with the levels a bit and maybe sharpen it up some. You could even adjust the color saturation a bit.

I think you should continue pursuing photography based on whether or not you enjoy it, not on whether or not your first photos come out perfect because no one's first photos come out perfect.

Anyway, I think they all have some good elements, but they could all be improved too.

1) Good timing (I like how the animal is looking into the camera) but it's out of focus and there's a lot of empty blackness above. (EDIT: Or maybe it's not out of focus. It kind of looks like you enlarged it too much giving it a soft/pixelized look.)
2) Nice reflection, but the trees in the background have a haze/washed out look suggesting overexposure (I think... someone more experienced should comment on this. Maybe it's a UV haze?).
3) Everything but the boat is overexposed and washed out. It's a nice idea, though.

As someone else suggested, shoot during the "golden hours" around sunset and sunrise for better lighting. This should reduce the washed out look. Also, most really good photos undergo at least a little post processing, so don't expect them to look perfect straight out of the camera.

Good luck and keep shooting!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back