First Post, First Portraits

Stez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,
New to the forum and have been watching and learning for a while. I have had my Canon 40d for about 3 weeks now after being a point and shooter for many years. I decided to take the plunge and invested in some grown up equipment. These are my first attempts at portraits of my wife, taken in our bedroom with just a reading lamp as the only light source. I have done some PP and would welcome any honest C&C please.

lynne--004.jpg

Lynne_002.jpg

They look pretty good :) However I think a blurred background would have looked alot better on the second one, just my two cents though

Very warm almost Boudoir photo's . I like them. They show both the physical beauty and that beauty that lurks behind the eyes.

The first is superior and I dont know that I can fault it.

The second seems underexposed and somehow crowded, not intimate, just like I would like to take a step back. Perhaps the models position or the framing with the shoulder.

In, either case very good stuff. Especially for first tries... woot! Keep shooting. I am not yet a model photographer but working on it.

You have a beautiful model btw. (wink)

Well done for just starting out!!
One thing, just me but I don't care for the shadow under her nose in both images Other then that very nice job.

It does also help working with a pretty model ;)

Thanks for the comments; they are much appreciated as I am trying to learn. I have sorted out the backgroud now but I am not sure how to deal with the nose shadow. Is this something that can be done now or is there something I should have done in the setup?
By the way my wife thanks you for the kind comments too!

Nice work, the softness is nice. #2 needs a bit of time in PS to lighten up the lower half of her face.:wink:

Last edited:
I actually don't think these need anything- I really love them. You used the light REALLY fabulously, your wife is gorgeous, great expression, great tonality, good sharpness. Very nice, look forward to seeing more from you!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back