First Post Help and C&C!

04v8s4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys/gals,

This is my first post on this forum. I bought a Nikon D5000 a month or so ago. Since then I have been doing a TON of reading and shooting but haven't posted anything.

When I got home from work today the dark rainy afternoon made my car look pretty even more photogenic than normal ;) so i took a few shots.

This is my favorite...the black and white goes well with the weather.

I need help with the license plate. I was able to PP out the flash from the camera on the front bumper...but the flash reflection off the license plate is TERRIBLE. How can i fix this? I'm using GIMP for PP.

Any C&C would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

BWCropped_2.jpg

Nice shot, but OMG, how could you bring your new camera out in the rain!?!?

Nice job on the front bumper, the only way I can think to fix it is to shoot the license plate again, close up maybe, resize it and paste it over the old one. Other than that I don't think you can fix it in this image. It could work.

have you tried a diffuser or bounce perhaps? Does the flash even have to be on? Try just holding your hand over the flash

the license plate reflected so much light that there is no image data left in that area except for solid white. this is whats known as a blown (or clipped) highlight. there is no fixing it as there is nothing to fix. the only way to correct it is to re-shoot the shot.

you said you pp'ed out the flash, so my guess (since you're new) is that you're using the onboard popup flash. its ok when you're desperate, but you're seeing one of the many reasons why it sucks. its on axis with the lens, and shooting the light straight out forward, so the lens is catching the light thats reflecting straight back (this also makes images look flat when using it on people and the like).

in this case, license plates are designed to reflect light at the angle of the light source for safety, so its acting as a reflector sending all that light straight back into your lens at the angle it was shot from. the only way to correct would be to either re-shoot without flash, or learn about off camera flash.

or...

you could say it was deliberate so that people on the interwebs cant find you and steal your car... :) (i always mask my license plates anyways)

that aside, as far as the image. i love the car, and i like the image. could do with a bit more contrast to make the blacks a bit more black, but otherwise i love the mood and the water drops on the car. :thumbup:

have you tried a diffuser or bounce perhaps? Does the flash even have to be on? Try just holding your hand over the flash

What is a diffuser or bounce?? Sorry for sounding like a newbie?

To be honest, i should have just not used the flash.

Thanks for the comments.

the license plate reflected so much light that there is no image data left in that area except for solid white. this is whats known as a blown (or clipped) highlight. there is no fixing it as there is nothing to fix. the only way to correct it is to re-shoot the shot.

you said you pp'ed out the flash, so my guess (since you're new) is that you're using the onboard popup flash. its ok when you're desperate, but you're seeing one of the many reasons why it sucks. its on axis with the lens, and shooting the light straight out forward, so the lens is catching the light thats reflecting straight back (this also makes images look flat when using it on people and the like).

in this case, license plates are designed to reflect light at the angle of the light source for safety, so its acting as a reflector sending all that light straight back into your lens at the angle it was shot from. the only way to correct would be to either re-shoot without flash, or learn about off camera flash.

or...

you could say it was deliberate so that people on the interwebs cant find you and steal your car... :) (i always mask my license plates anyways)

that aside, as far as the image. i love the car, and i like the image. could do with a bit more contrast to make the blacks a bit more black, but otherwise i love the mood and the water drops on the car. :thumbup:

That's great information...thanks man. I did PS out the numbers on my license plate...but to be honest it almost looks better without the numbers.

What kind of external flash should I look at as a newb?

Thanks,
Nick

i only know about canon stuff, but the sb600, and sb900 are the most popular i see. the sb600 being the midrange, and the sb900 being the top of the line.

i'd recommend at least one same brand flash, like the nikon sb600, and as you expand to off camera lighting the vivitar 285hv is one of the most popular for strobists (strobist.com).

Most reactions

Back