First post here, and a few pics at the lakes...

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by chops, Apr 9, 2007.

1. chops

chops TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok, now a few pictures from yesterday. I just want to make note that I did not do any tweaking of any kind to these pictures other than resizing them, adding the borders and my name to them. That's it!
    These pictures are how they came out of the camera, except for the B&W pics which I did in Photoshop CS. I never shoot in B&W.

Anyway, on with the show! I'll start with my favorite pic of the day... ENJOY!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And last, but not least, a pic of my bro making a goofy face. And if you look closely, you'll see that it is also a picture of me.

[​IMG]

2. jwkwd

jwkwd TPF Noob!

I certainly like #1. I think that the heavy chain thing and especially the anchor would look good in B&W.

3. mschris

mschris TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like number 1, great lines. Number 2 would be wonderful (such deep color) if that leaf with the whole wasn't there. Number 5 almost looks like something my dog might try to leave at the beach (what is it)? I agree with jwk, I think 6 & 7 would be good in b&w. And I really like number 8, I just wish it had a little more depth.

Overall good first showing. :)

4. nabero

nabero TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Firstly, Welcome to the Forum :sillysmi:

I also like the first one...but I think it needs a tiny tilt counterclockwise as it looks a little tilted...

I really like some of the colors in these (I like the one of the lake the most...really crisp and gorgeous)

Oh and...you might want to go through and number each picture in your post so they're easier to comment on individual ones :)

Cheers!

5. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    welcome to the mad house, great shots hard to pick a fave but the really like the colour one of the bridge

6. chops

chops TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello all and thanks for the welcome!

I've been working feverishly trying to keep up with your posts about what to tweak in these photos, and to answer a question.

First off, here's a close-up of that black thing by the water. As far as I can tell, it looks like an old root or stick. It's definately not a by-product of a passing doggie. LOL

[​IMG]

Here's to the two suggestions for converting the anchor and chain pics to B&W. BTW, I always use "Channel Mixer" to do this. I feel I have better control of the lighting that way. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a cropped version of the "holy leaf" pic.

[​IMG]

This is a quick fix to the slightly tilted picture...

[​IMG]

And here's one last one I decided to throw in for good measure. After looking at this photo a little more, I thought that it might look good, if not better in Sepia. Again, I did the coloring manually, not the nasty looking "Sepia Filter" option. Let me know what you all think.

[​IMG]

nabero, thanks for the numbering tip. I actually thought of that after seeing other members posting their pics like that. I just never got back to doing it to my first post soon enough... Apparently! :lol:

7. mschris

mschris TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Awesome! Way to take the advice and run with it.

I love 3 & 4. Awesome shots. And glad to see that number 1 is some wood ( ;) ).

8. chops

chops TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

What can I say?.. I'm a fast learner. And thanks for the great complements! :)

Anyway, here's a few more shots from yesterday. They're nothing special, but I figure I should post them just the same.

This one I kind of have mixed feelings for. I don't know if it would look better pure B&W, or left as color. The Sepia might be a bit much.

[​IMG]

Just a B&W one...

[​IMG]

And some bird pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Whoa. This thread has grown large from when I first saw it (but did not comment)!
    Many new editions to your original pics and a couple of additions, too.
    I was going to say how much I like Photo 1, and I still do (and hardly see the tilt nor its correction, only do I feel there is more in it colourwise, it could just "pop" a bit more, by applying some very minute shifts of the shadows in the levels, maybe only from 0 to 5, no more).

I have always loved that hibiscus (?) flower and like the new edit even more.

That vintage car is a fascinating sight, and you were right from the start: a photo like that should not be in colour ... and actually the mild sepia toning makes it look even more "original", as if taken in the times when those cars were in use. Almost... ;)

You still don't know me well enough, but everyone else on the forum who does will know why I must love Photo 4*, though I am not too fond of its centredness. But that would be my only nitpick. A crop can see to that! ;)
    (*dead give-aways not allowed ;) :wink: ;) ).

Your new additions, i.e. the bird photos, remind me of my own bird photos and the on-going saga of LaFoto and the Birds (to be found in four parts here in Landscape and Nature) ... and I am quite partial to cormorants (my son isn't, he's a pasttime angler and says they steal all his possible catch), which is why I like those, too! There should be a pic on here somewhere that I took off a passing boat (I assume you were on a boat when you took yours?), now where has that gone to? Ah :idea: here_they_are !

10. chops

chops TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello LaFoto,

Thanks for all the kind words! Yeah, this thread really took off, didn't it. Unfortunately, it seems to have died just as quickly. But I guess there's
    only so much to say about one set of photos.

BTW, which "Photo 4" are you referring to, since there are a total of 3 different #4's up there?

Also, all the pics I took of the birds were on good ole' solid ground. I was just using the 40-150mm kit lens zoomed all the way out most of the time. I'm not to fond of boats, especially small boats, especially in alligator infested lakes! NOOO thank you there. I'll take my chances on ground by foot. Not to mention that I don't know how to swim anyway, but that's an entirely different story. :blushing:

11. midget patrol

midget patrol TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From your first post: Number nine is amazingly well exposed! I'm very, very impressed. I would crop off some of the sky, though. The horizon is centered and that would bring it up a little bit.