First Post...Need some C&C Please!

rzeugin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been reading these forums for a couple of months now and I am finally ready to post some pics for C&C. Please let me know what you think and what I need to improve on.

I have ordered Understanding Exposure as recommended by this board and look forward to reading it and learning more.

3166544301_68158a6d65.jpg

3167365442_9e3b9af0bd.jpg

3166470193_df8a1919e9.jpg

Normally on a rookie photo the first thing I mention is to watch the background. You've got that one down. Blurred (nicely) when distracting and not when it adds.

They could be sharper and focus on the eyes.

#2 has some funny light in the two halves - both on the tree bark and the face. A different spot? Flash fill? I don't know the answer. I also would like him looking into the photo rather than out of it.

I think #3 is a little too bright.

TF

TF,

As a newbie who takes lots of portraits of my kids also, I'd like to ask more about your "sharpen" comment because in my eyes, they look in focus! Is it just the overall edges that can be done in Photoshop or is it a focusing technique that's not quite there? Thanks!

Lisa

Maybe it's because I don't shoot 'people', but I want to see those eyes SHARP - at least as sharp as the last one. It's what gives the subject 'life'.

And again, I'm not claiming to be anything but another beginner trying to learn to 'see'.

TF

Last edited:
OldClicker - I agree about the sharpness, that is one of the big things I need to work on.
Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it!

You did well in breaking up the frame a bit with the white railings. I don't think its recommended to use a horizontal line so near the top of the frame, but it really worked well in this case.

#2 seems to reveal some true personality- I'm bored, and pissed that I have to wear this nerdy collared shirt.

On #3 , I suspect you modified the eyes, and it is a bit overdone. If nothing else, they will need to be on a line-of-thirds to allow the photo to show well in the eyes.

Not bad though.

#1 i dont mind that you cut off the legs but come on man the fingers and the elbow....poor kid i guess hell never be able to play baseball
#2 love the setup the background and him but um the face looks evil...look you wre going for? the brown in the eyes the brown in the bark great...done on purpose?
#3 ummm yeah to bright but still love it...step the exposure down a notch once again blue eyes blue shirt love it...done on purpose? would love to see both shoulders or cut off the other one if you cant fix the cropping :D

oh just to add on #1 have his head on the other side of the bar not only does it add an ackward shadow this way but he just doesnt look comfy at all

Most reactions

Back