First Post New!

Precious

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_0032_edited-1.jpg

Hello everyone here at The photo forum! I'm new and starting my own business in doing portrait photography! Please help me by giving me tips and techniques for great photos! I'm a little anxious about the biz, and would like some expert advice on the pics I post!
So, here's my first post here! My daughter Katie

You are starting a business and you need tips for great photos arent you rushing things a bit?

You are starting a business and you need tips for great photos arent you rushing things a bit?

Well, I kind of agree...

But here is an edit I did of your picture. I did it kind of quickly, and sorry for the splotchy shirt, but the picture isn't the best resolution.

Key changes:
-brought out the eyes with curves, I didn't bring out the white part of the eyes and I should have
-cleaned up around her mouth and eyes
-converted to black and white, and adding some color back it with a color balance layer
-burned her hair

IMG_0032_edited-1-1.jpg

Edit:
Before I converted to BW, I got rid of the redness on her cheeks and arm

Reminds me of the times article...

Although I LOVE the B&W version here.....Your original shot is beautiful too, You'll be doing fine....we are in the same boat...starting my own business soon and would love new ideas!

that's a little harsh don't you think, I never asked for any opinions about what you thought about me starting my biz! I only asked for tips and techniques. I never said I had any professional degrees or anything. I just want to improve. You were pretty arrogant to say something like that without knowing anything about me or my biz.

that's a little harsh don't you think, I never asked for any opinions about what you thought about me starting my biz! I only asked for tips and techniques. I never said I had any professional degrees or anything. I just want to improve. You were pretty arrogant to say something like that without knowing anything about me or my biz.

Wow!! They sure know how to use that Southern charm in rural Georgia.

Perhaps he was gently saying that portrait photography is a tough business to make money in and you might want to get past the 'tips and techniques' phase before you invest a lot of money and energy.

But you probably know best.

I agree, it was a little harsh...but understandable I guess. I thought the same thing when I read it though...you didn't ask for personal life advice, just advice on the picture. You included that tidbit of info(about your biz) to let people know you are a beginner...not unqualified..:)

Wow!! They sure know how to use that Southern charm in rural Georgia.

Perhaps he was gently saying that portrait photography is a tough business to make money in and you might want to get past the 'tips and techniques' phase before you invest a lot of money and energy.

But you probably know best.

So, what you people are saying here on TPF is that you must be perfect and the best at what you do before you can start making any money off the portraits you take and that you shouldn't need any advice? I haven't invested that much money into starting my business. It's not all about making money, I love to take photographs and if people want to pay me for making theirs then I'll cash in. Also, this is not my main income, so I really don't care how much money I make, I just like doing it. Wow, if this the response I get from posting my first picture, I'd be a little reluctant to post another!

I agree, it was a little harsh...but understandable I guess. I thought the same thing when I read it though...you didn't ask for personal life advice, just advice on the picture. You included that tidbit of info(about your biz) to let people know you are a beginner...not unqualified..:)

Yep:thumbup:

So, what you people are saying here on TPF is that you must be perfect and the best at what you do before you can start making any money off the portraits you take and that you shouldn't need any advice? I haven't invested that much money into starting my business. It's not all about making money, I love to take photographs and if people want to pay me for making theirs then I'll cash in. Also, this is not my main income, so I really don't care how much money I make, I just like doing it. Wow, if this the response I get from posting my first picture, I'd be a little reluctant to post another!

Please do post more...I for one, would be very interested in seeing your work...

I didn't think he was harsh or rude perhaps just trying to be helpful. We get a fair number of people who are new at photography who want to 'go pro' right away and perhaps he was inquiring that perhaps this may be early for you - considering you were asking for tips.

OTOH, you are new here in a community, asking for help, and yet you took offense at what could easily be a harmless attempt at being helpful and you have responded fairly aggessively. How will you respond if people actually criticize one of your postings?

BTW, It is very difficult to see detail on pictures this size (476 pixels high). I would suggest that you post images at least 600 or more for realistic comments on detail.

Hey, Precious,

Don't sweat the small stuff. And for Pete's sake don't measure yourself on the basis of internet feedback.

Satisfy yourself and satisfy your subjects and you'll be fine.

Tastes differ. Styles differ.

Cyrus wrote:
But here is an edit I did of your picture. I did it kind of quickly, and sorry for the splotchy shirt, but the picture isn't the best resolution.

Key changes:
-brought out the eyes with curves, I didn't bring out the white part of the eyes and I should have
-cleaned up around her mouth and eyes
-converted to black and white, and adding some color back it with a color balance layer
-burned her hair

Of course, the following is reflective of my own taste. I really don't care for the conversion. I see loss of skin tone/modeling that is quite nice in the original and an eye conversion that just strikes me as spooky.

The OP requested comments and critique. It strikes me as strange that Cyrus with big red letters prohibiting edits on his pictures is in such a rush to edit others. It doesn't strike me as critique as much as putting forward his own style.

Tastes differ. Styles differ.

Cyrus wrote:

Of course, the following is reflective of my own taste. I really don't care for the conversion. I see loss of skin tone/modeling that is quite nice in the original and an eye conversion that just strikes me as spooky.

The OP requested comments and critique. It strikes me as strange that Cyrus with big red letters prohibiting edits on his pictures is in such a rush to edit others. It doesn't strike me as critique as much as putting forward his own style.

I just converted the image to what I see as the current style of photography. And, yes, I do have "big red letters prohibiting" editing of my pictures; however, the reason why I edited the picture is because I had Photoshop open, and I was editing some of my own pictures. So, I thought I would give it a try, and, plus, I have never edited a picture of a child, and I was curious to see what I could do.

The "loss of skin tone" and "spooky" eye conversion are two prevalent post-processing techniques used by many professional and non-professional photographers.

Also, if I were to go to a professional photographer for pictures of my family, I would want that photographer to produce images that are beyond what an average person could create with a point-and-shoot camera. The conversion creates a more unique image, one that would be very memorable for a family.

Additionally, I was not "putting forward" my own style, but, rather, I was experimenting, and I thought Precious would like the conversion. If you would like to see my style, then look at the thread I started in the Portrait/Wedding Section.

Most reactions

Back