First Post (Some of my pics)

I will edit in a detailed responce to BTP in a moment but - and I have a headache and acrashing computer at the moment - so let me be blunt - next time use the report button rather than backseat moderate - and then leave it at that! end this discussion now its getting away from the OP and his thread and gives a very poor view of the site and its members if the first post of a person here turns into some massive debate/rant/argument/spam.

Right now that is out of the way (please computer don't crash again!). Welcome to the site BTP! :) I do hope that you stick around and let us get to know you better and also let you know us better (we don't bite that often ;))

As for your work you have a very processed look to your images - in shots like the first its a style and feel that I don't really take to much especaily as I just feel that whilst the pose is interesting the high editing has given them a very strange look to their skin (the face looks ill and almost as if there are bloodspatters over that and one hand).

I do like your second shot though and the subtle curves in it - even to getting the shadows of the bolts in the front to follow the curves - its a good soft use of lighting and overall I do like it!

Third shot just does not click for me - at first I thought it was a duff shot madeup to look better though with you display above of lighting control I wonder more if it is what you did intend and its just that I don't like the end result - I just feel that so much detail and expression from the animal is being lost in the blackness.

Fourth shot feels very overprocessed to me and I get the feelng that you have edited a single shot and got a blown out sky - and thus you have edited the sky to a monotone cloud colour which shows no details (if you see just under the gutter on the left there is sky gap where the original sky is showing through and the bright reflections on the building in the background betray an originally brighter sky. Personally I feel that this shot would have worked better if you had been able to take two exposures - one for the sky and one for the foreground and then combined them into a single shot - that or gone back later in either the dawn or evening when the light would naturally have been softer and thus easier to expose for.

Fifth and sixth shots I think work well with your chosen editing methods and I do like them. They have a darkness to them but its not too dominating (a bit of a risk with the vignetting in the first as it can make the shot feel just that bit too dark - but the framing of it works I think). In the sixth I would crop out the left hand side and that other bike comming into view - its not needed and its a distraction otherwise = but to keep the composition as you have it this will mean removing from the right hand side an equal amount as well - otherwise the zoom in effect (either edited or shot as) will be lost I fee.

Last edited:
I agree, however we are not talking about about impressions, we are talking about making this place better. That is done by participating and also reminding those people at the same time that it is easy to place your post in the proper area, nothing more.

Also, I would not be so quick to judge. If we went out and counted the number of "helpful" posts I've done vs yours... well, I suppose you have an answer to that too. Oh well... thats ok. :)

Jerry, but the funny thing is bjorkfiend is doing the same thing you did. You -> OP, and he -> you (me too, lol) After all, we just try to make this a better place.

Thanks Guys.
JerryPH I understand what you are saying, but at first, as well as some other people, I took it the wrong way. It did come off kind of rude.

But I'm not one to fight and hold grudges, so no harsh feelings. :thumbup:

I will edit in a detailed responce to BTP in a moment but - and I have a headache and acrashing computer at the moment - so let me be blunt - next time use the report button rather than backseat moderate - and then leave it at that! end this discussion now its getting away from the OP and his thread and gives a very poor view of the site and its members if the first post of a person here turns into some massive debate/rant/argument/spam.

Right now that is out of the way (please computer don't crash again!). Welcome to the site BTP! :) I do hope that you stick around and let us get to know you better and also let you know us better (we don't bite that often ;))

As for your work you have a very processed look to your images - in shots like the first its a style and feel that I don't really take to much especaily as I just feel that whilst the pose is interesting the high editing has given them a very strange look to their skin (the face looks ill and almost as if there are bloodspatters over that and one hand).

I do like your second shot though and the subtle curves in it - even to getting the shadows of the bolts in the front to follow the curves - its a good soft use of lighting and overall I do like it!

Third shot just does not click for me - at first I thought it was a duff shot madeup to look better though with you display above of lighting control I wonder more if it is what you did intend and its just that I don't like the end result - I just feel that so much detail and expression from the animal is being lost in the blackness.

Fourth shot feels very overprocessed to me and I get the feelng that you have edited a single shot and got a blown out sky - and thus you have edited the sky to a monotone cloud colour which shows no details (if you see just under the gutter on the left there is sky gap where the original sky is showing through and the bright reflections on the building in the background betray an originally brighter sky. Personally I feel that this shot would have worked better if you had been able to take two exposures - one for the sky and one for the foreground and then combined them into a single shot - that or gone back later in either the dawn or evening when the light would naturally have been softer and thus easier to expose for.

Fifth and sixth shots I think work well with your chosen editing methods and I do like them. They have a darkness to them but its not too dominating (a bit of a risk with the vignetting in the first as it can make the shot feel just that bit too dark - but the framing of it works I think). In the sixth I would crop out the left hand side and that other bike comming into view - its not needed and its a distraction otherwise = but to keep the composition as you have it this will mean removing from the right hand side an equal amount as well - otherwise the zoom in effect (either edited or shot as) will be lost I fee.

Thank you overread.
On the first, your right, it does have a processed look to it. However thats how a imagined it in my head when I first thought of doing the shot. I was aiming for a really contrasty look. As with all photog, it's personal preference though. It might have looked better by not boosting the constrast so much and then bleach bypassing it?

The 3rd shot, I completely agree. I don't like how it turned out, you can't see his face and I was dissapointed. Any tips on exposing the dogs face better?

On the 4th, I'm going to try it again today or tomorrow.

The 5th and 6th are what I do best. I've gotten several front cover shots in the local motocross track papers. I love shooting motocross, and I ride so I know what people like to see in the riding shots.
Oh and the last one is desaturated a bit, I have one thats not desaurated and is brighter if you want to see it.
Thanks again :)

Last edited:
Well from what I have experienced of black animals they need the ambient lighting shining on the face/side you are shooting - so that the details have the light to show up. Failing that use fillflash to add lighting. If you don't have additional lighting then underexpose the shot - sure the backgrounds are likley to blow out, but it means those darker foreground sections are going to be exposed correctly and as they are the main subject they are the important parts.
Myself I prefer fillflash for these sorts of shots or reflectors to direct more light onto them - the lets you keep your background areas exposed better and avoid having to blow them out. Experiement and see how things go

Only if they cannot drive, then I have no issues telling them to go take the bus. ;) But since I own vehicles of my own, I have not sat in the back seat of anyone's car since 1976 (and that was my last time in a vehicle with me not driving... my last day in highschool when the bus driver drove me to my bus stop).

Jeez, anyone who keeps tabs on something like that for thirty three years has to have some kind of a problem.

Control freak?
Trust issues?
No friends?
Housebound?

You have to wonder.

Love the colours and textures in #4 and the intentional vignetting in #5 works very well.

I would make the dog in #3 just the tiniest bit lighter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back