First Post (with Photos for C&C)

RalphP13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been lurking around the forum for the last month. I have finally decided to post and see how it goes.

Just for some background, I'm new to photography. I've had my camera less than one year and have tried to absorb as much information as possible, however, every tidbit of knowledge I gained seems to only bring more questions.

I take pictures for myself just as a hobby. I have no aspirations of becoming a professional photographer. I look at it more as giving myself a creative and artistic outlet.

Although I am pleased with the way most of my photographs come out, others “just don't look right.” The answer to why, I believe, will come with time and experience. That's why I decided to start posting, I'd like to “borrow” the experience of those that have already put in the time.

Thanks in advance, Ralph

match.jpg

marbles.jpg

orchid.jpg

inkspill.jpg

Cool shots, I really like the pen one, though I wish the depth of field was a little bit greater so that more of the pen is in focus. It would be nice if you could get rid of the shadow, too. The match is neat too, shows great detail on the stick. Wondering how you caught it in mid-air? Or did you clone out a hand holding it?

I love the Pen and Ink. A little more depth of field would be nice, to capture all that detail.

The orchid is interesting, but the lighting looks harsh.

The marble shot is not bad. I like the shadow leading into the foreground.
I do wonder if this is one of those times to break the RoT's, and do a centered portrait crop?

Keep posting!

I love the last shot but I agree the DOF is too shallow. Really cool idea though.

I played around with the depth of field on the pen shot quite a bit. To my eye, the design on the nib drew your attention away from the ink with a greater depth of field. However, if it's that distracting; I might try shooting it again with a greater depth of field.

The orchid picture was one of those pictures that was "not quite right." Now that I look at it again, my lighting may be the issue.

The match was held with a set of hemostats that was later cloned out. They only minimally obscured the match.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Ralph

Shots no worky

They didn't come up for me this last time either. However, if you right-click the red X and select "show picture". They returned.

Sorry, not quite sure why that happened.

Thanks, Ralph

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back