First Post

mom2eight

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had my camera for about a year now. I've just been practicing but still feel out of my element at times. I've been looking into The Art Institute online photography degree, but im unsure. Has anyone been to this school or can you recomend the best course to take?

Hi mom2eight, I can't answer your question but wanted to say hi and welcome you :)

I would not recommend getting an "online degree" there is no teacher or anything to make sure your doing your assignments.... I tried an online class once and it was very hard to keep up with due to the fact that you had to teach yourself... Easy to cheat on too. I would even recommend finding a local community college.

I would even recommend finding a local community college.

+1. I took a lot of online classes (unrelated degree) and it takes a lot of self-motivation. You don't even need a degree; you can look into taking just the photo class. I wanted to take one but I just don't have the time to shoot, let alone take another class. Read a lot and shoot like crazy and it will get much easier. :)

Better off teaching yourself. You can learn a lot on the internet - photography isn't something you NEED a degree in. Its art - its something you're either good at or you aren't. Yes, classes can teach you how to build on this skill but like with any art - you'll never be great unless you have an eye for it. When it comes to drawing I can draw stick figures (seriously). I could take classes to teach me to draw - I might get ok at it but I'll never be great. You just need to read a lot and practice a lot. Ask for CC - listen to it, follow it. Practice some more. Read some more.

Most reactions

Back