First Professional Type Headshots C&C always welcomed

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by themedicine, Jan 10, 2010.

1. themedicine

themedicine TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, first ones since I stopped working at a portrait studio with thousands of dollars in lighting. I've actually done dozens of these, but not with my current light setup. So I guess these are more my first ones using my lighting setup that cost me around 200 dollars....
    C&C always welcomed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks so much for looking.

2. AnotherNewGuy

AnotherNewGuy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Slight shadow on backdrop. Otherwise, I dig them. Good job changing perspective. My rookie opinion.

3. themedicine

themedicine TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yea I saw the shadow a bit late in the game. I figured out after I got home how to get rid it, seperately light the background! Duh! The same thing I do when I don't use an actual background. Looking at it now though, I almost like it in the first and especially the third, adds some depth maybe? Dunno maybe I'm just compensating hahaha

thanks again!

4. AnotherNewGuy

AnotherNewGuy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yea it's not a harsh shadow. These look like they are for business pics though. Not sure your artistic depth reason is really warranted. The shots seem to work though. After a second look at 2, looks like maybe the light was too uneven on face. I have never shot pics like these though, so take it with the grain of salt.

5. chip

chip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would crop off some on top and some on bottom

6. DevilDogge

DevilDogge TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The top one is the best, imo... The bottom one is the worst because of her unnatural expression like WTF is this guy doing taking pictures of me? And the second one is between the first and the 3rd, literally and quality wise.

7. themedicine

themedicine TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ^^hahaha. Literally and quality wise, classic.
    Thanks guys!

8. Foxman

Foxman TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    FWIW, I like the pose in the second shot the best. It to me is the most Business like head shot of the trio. The lighting isnt the best in that shot, perhaps some PP can take care of that?

9. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i'd look into removing the shine from her skin, the patch tool is great for that, like what was said above, there needs to be more distance from the background and the subject, i think your monitor might need to be calibrated, the white balance is too warm and they seem a little over saturated, especially in the shadows, i'd patch out the straggling hairs, and put a Gaussian blur on the background and darken it a little bit.

Other than that, they're fine, it's a headshot, generally not too difficult.

10. [Dillz]

[Dillz] TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    (Please don't take this personal)
    These photos look like something a grandma would buy or a mom for her little ball of joy. Is it interesting? I dont think so. If you consider photography an art then tell a story with it. This is more like documentation. Like a yearbook. Its good but no story. If your going for this look then great job.( except for shadow.) I try and tell a story even if my client wants a normal portrait.(nothing is normal) See in my photo below, there is a story to tell. I would suggest on the count of three(when about to take a photo) say something random and bold. Like 1,2,3 Sweaty Balls!!!

This may seam weird and gross....it is gross but it will help your client or model have a story. Nothing fake. Your client looks fake. Shes hiding. BRING THEM TO LIFE MAN!
    I have used this before and trust me it works. Its really good for group shots. People laugh, make a confused face or try not to feel embarrassed.

You have all the gear....I know you can do better. XD
    Again im not bashing you im just shedding some light I hope. :)

[​IMG]

11. themedicine

themedicine TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Dillz: I agree that it a lot of fun to be able to tell stories with photography and doing dramatic shots like the one you posted (good job by the way, but i sure do wish I could see some eyes) is a fun way to do it. But when someone calls me, says I want a traditional headshot for my real estate business cards, I won't balk on them. This woman hadn't had a new head shot in nearly twenty years except for one she took herself with a sony P&S in her office. I find out after I was done with her that she was DREADING having her photo taken because she is so self conscious and hates being photographed. She thanked me more than a dozen times for making her so comfortable and helping her to have such a good time.
    Gotta watch the "stinky balls" as this woman was a staunch conservative so she probably wouldn't have like that one too much but "boogers" (although juvenile) works on all ages and walks of life!
    Thanks

12. FarrahJ

FarrahJ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I partly agree with Dillz...in that they do kinda look like blah. A few things stick out to me...first, you should turn down the power on your lights...it's a little too harsh. 2nd...you might consider looking into poses that are more flattering for different people. the first pose is the best, but it's still not all that flattering (and the crop doesn't help)