First Puppy Shoot! C&C

squee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
abbeynugentphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well it was kind of last minute. My white backdrop was all wrinkled in my trunk but my BFF and I were bored while waiting for my hair to dye. So we took some test shots of her puppy, Lucy, in prep for my pet portraits this weekend. Fortunately, it was 10pm and she was exhausted and cooperative.

I need some help picking the best two to put in my portfolio for customers.

4910075456_facb5a9e43.jpg

4909359859_1c3535523d.jpg

3. "Say Cheeeeese!"
4909959596_69b99007a6.jpg

4909959520_77a7d9071d.jpg

4909359721_2a040f4bb6.jpg

If they're all cr@p feel free to say so. It was more so just for fun. Lol

its a cute dog maybe a little to much pp and you can't really see the eyes but that is the kind of dog with all that hair...

You need to work on composing your shot. Pet photography 101... Get down to their level. All of theses were taken at well above eye level. Also... The post done to these seems way heavy. Gives them that '60s Polaroid look. Honestly... IMO... None of these would make it to a portfolio.

If I had to choose one i liked it would be #3 mainly because the apparent heavy PP seems appropriate for that kind of shot... Although looking at it again the DOF is to shallow and the eyes really should be in focus.. But yeah that's my opinion.

You need to work on composing your shot. Pet photography 101... Get down to their level. All of theses were taken at well above eye level.

Actually 2, 4, & 5 were taken at eye-level or a tad above. This is a very tiny dog. She's a yorkipoo and only three or four months old.

I did over do it a bit didn't I. :(
I'll try to go back and take it down a notch. They were just so flat that I over-compensated.

EDIT: Sorry. I mis-nicknamed a genetically altered breed. She's a ****zu/yorkie not a poodle/yorkie. :er:

EDIT2: Hahaha... it censored a breed name. Oh boy I need sleep....

Last edited:
EDIT2: Hahaha... it censored a breed name. Oh boy I need sleep....

Shih Tzu... Spelled correctly and it does not censor... lol I'm nit picking today!

If I am going to pe like this I should at least punctuate correctly.

Shih Tzu... Spelled correctly and it does not censor... lol, I'm nit picking today!

If I took down the saturation in #4 would it be portfolio-worthy? Or are the wrinkles in the backdrop just killing it?

And what if I completely wipe out the backdrop in #2 to make it seamless and pure white?

I do not find any shots appealing, it might be from the PP on them but most are OOF or too little DOF.
Im not an expert in animal photography but these are the points I focus on.
1. Be at their level.
2. Focus on eyes, if you cant then focus on face. The eyes are the gateway to the soul.
3. Avoid background distraction.
4. limit the PP, try to work on SOOC.
Hope this helps. Keep trying, keep posting, hope to see more from you.

Most reactions

Back