First 'real' camera; Nikon D40 or Nikon D40x?

**Sarahh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love photography and I really want to become more involved in it. My interest in it is only as a hobby not professional.
The size and money difference in those cameras are irrelevant, but I'm wondering what the other differences are?

I'm most keen on one with the best focus and clearest pictures, preferably without a lot of effort because I am completely ignorant on cameras, very much a beginner.

:D
Thanks in advance, any advice will help a lot.

I had the D40 and loved it. It was an easy to use, small and affordable camera and still wish I had kept it. The differences between the two aren't huge but it depends on your needs.

I would get whichever one you can get the best deal on.

Flash Sync
D40: 1/500
D40x: 1/200

ISO
D40: 200-1600 1EV steps + HI1
D40x: 100-1600 1EV steps + HI1

If you have the money for either, then get the D40x. It will meet all your photographic needs, seeing as how you're a beginner you'll be able to learn at a steady pace with it. On a side note, 10.2 megapixels gives you more cropping capability. Meanwhile 6 megapixels gives you better high ISO noise. So you may want to think about those two variables.

You'd be better off with a Nikon D80 which is a much more capable DSLR in my opinion. You can get one for relatively the same price as a D40x. - Just something to take into consideration.

yea if you can find a 'used' D80 get it, but it's not easy. The D40 is a good entry level DSLR, but I personally would get the D60 if you could find it for $550. Main reason being if you ever want to really crop some photos, for artistic value, the 6 mp will not give you much leeway. But if this is not an issue, then the D40 would be fine.

I've never used a D40x but I do own a D40 and I love it. It's very easy to use and takes great pictures. To be honest I really like it more than my D90, as crazy as that sounds. It's nowhere near as sensetive to hand shake as my D90. The battery lasts forever. Great camera.

I'm selling my D60, less than 2 months old, for $500 which even includes a memory card. Let me know if you are interested.

On a side note, 10.2 megapixels gives you more cropping capability. Meanwhile 6 megapixels gives you better high ISO noise.
The statement that 6 megapixels gives you better high ISO noise is wrong.

I don't know enough about the specifics to comment in this instance, but all else being equal, more megapixels will result in more noise.

On a side note, 10.2 megapixels gives you more cropping capability. Meanwhile 6 megapixels gives you better high ISO noise.
The statement that 6 megapixels gives you better high ISO noise is wrong.

It may be worded wrong, but the statment is true, the 6 megapixel sensor from the D40 has better high iso performance (i.e. less grain) than a 10mp D40x. Cramming 10million pixels onto a sensor the same size as one with 6 million is obviously going to show more noise at higher iso's....kind of the same reason the D700/D3 have such better high iso performance than a D90.....12 million pixels across a bigger sensor....has all to do with the amount of pixels accross the size of the sensor (though the CMOS is better than the CCD obviously).

In regards to this current topic....are you kidding me???? Seriously, a quick search for D40 will probably answer your questions about 3 dozen different ways.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back