First real Photos

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by dslrchat, May 17, 2008.

1. dslrchat

dslrchat TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok, These are my first real, thought out photos.
    I drove around trying to find something good to shoot.
    By the time I decided what to shoot and how to shoot is was pretty dark.

I am really really proud of these 2 photos, almost got a speeding ticket getting back here to upload for you to critique.

Yes, again I will say I am very proud of these 2 photos, but I know they are far from perfect so please do not hold back!!!
    I want to learn so please be honest and tell me what I should have done to make them better.
    First thing I know that takes away from photos is a piece of red garbage in tree, unfortunately my better half would not wade out and remove it lol.

No photoshop except for resize,

setting on first; (not sure what all the setting mean)
    [​IMG]

setting;
    [​IMG]

Please, give honest critique, I need to learn and get better.
    Thanx for your comments.

2. LeSueur24

LeSueur24 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I really like the idea you're going for. In my opinion, they'd be better if you used a larger depth of field so more of the stream is in focus farther down. Also you could try getting lower to the water and zooming in more so those trees are on the edges of the frame to give it a different perspective.

EDIT: And I also just noticed the red thing in the tree on the left, which is very distracting. If you can, it would help a lot if you could take it out of the tree if you re-take this.

3. dslrchat

dslrchat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanx for the tips,
    still learning about DOF and not quite sre how to change the settings yet (Canon XTI)

This was the best position I could find at the time, and I was lying on the gound and tripod at minimum (12" maybe)

Now I have found this spot, I will be sure to go back and try different position and change DOF.

"The Traveler" where are you? lol

4. Rachelsne

Rachelsne TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    More haste less speed (in refference to the near miss with the ticket!)

What a beautiful spot, I prefer the composition of the first picture but think it would be better with out the duck and the red thing.

The water is nice and smooth, but I agree it would be better if more of it was focussed as apose to being bg.

Sorry thats all I can offer-Im still learning"

5. Onion

Onion TPF Noob!

there are some very pretty elements in this shot. maybe bring them out more with curves, saturation and sharpening. little under exposed myabe.

[​IMG]

6. dslrchat

dslrchat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    TY onion, you really made that photo come to life!!
    I have acouple versions of it now that I have photoshopped, but these 2 have no PS at all.
    Looking to get a good photo first, then PS.

looking at the settings I used (it was almost dark) can you see what I might have done different?

I was using the TV (shutter) mode, I am having real problems using AV (aperture) mode, everything is blurry and under/over exposed.

7. Onion

Onion TPF Noob!

a little underexposed is sometimes good for post processing. do not be afraid to use photoshop. it is your freind. consider going to full manual mode. you may like the results.

try setting white balance to cloudy. shooting raw you can readjust later. i know a couple pros that do so. use manual focus when light is like that. autofocus has trouble in low light.

use small aperature for full dof. .time goes way up so myabe use cable release. dof is better with short focal length to. do you have shorter lense? move closer rather than zoom. get wet. it is summer. buy cute shorts and cheep shoes.be careful though.

8. dslrchat

dslrchat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Full manual??? Lmao I have figured out AP yet :) (soon I hope)
    Also not sure how to adjust White Balance (yet!!)
    I am shooting Raw
    I did use manual focus (I used auto focus, focused in on the area I wanted, the switch to manual focus and re aimed my shot) this is where I need to learn my DOF settings?
    I still can't seem to get a handle on the aperture, so I use the TV setting with auto AP
    My hands shake real bad, so I used the timer (10 seconds) so the camera was stablized by the time it took the Photo
    Only have 2 lenses (for now) a 55-80 Canon and a 70-300 Sigma

9. Onion

Onion TPF Noob!

should be a option in your menu for wb. set display mode to highlight and try using f16 and manual tv. highliht will blink at you if shot is overexposed.

focus manually. doing it the way you are is actually autofocus. it don't work so good in lowlight.

55-80 is better for landscapes. better dof. shoot a scnen the way you do now then try it manual. you can delete the bad ones until the manual is better than the auto. try it. ;)

you do well. keep it up. read the book to.

10. dslrchat

dslrchat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ty again, I will definately try manual mode till I get it right. :)

11. dslrchat

dslrchat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Was hoping to get back out today to try manual, however its pouring rain :(

12. dslrchat

dslrchat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, been doing alot of reading today.
    DOF was mentioned.
    From what I gather, to get a wider DOF I should have used AV mode with a higher Aperture.
    Is this correct?
    (unfortunately everytime I use AV mode I get blurry photos)