first "real" portrait shoot with the gf

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'd like to hear what you think. I know the focus is loose with some of them but that's what I was going for. Do you think it works?

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

I like #3 and #7 the most. The poses look 'natural' and completely spontaneous; she looks like she is really having fun in those two.

Good work.

That's because they were

We took my dog for a walk and I took my camera along. When we got back to my house we were just talking outside and I started snapping away

Thank you

The "loose focus" might be working in 3 and 7, but not in 1.
I think I like 4 best because it is the only one in which she gets herself into touch with "us" (or the camera) and we get to see her eyes.
Under the aspect that it is the ONLY one where she is granting us a look and establishes contact, I am no longer so sure I am happy about her specs (halfway) in focus and NOT those eyes ... but if you were going for this ... what can I say?

Now that I look at it again I am not to fond of the focus in 4 it would have been better more on her eyes. I didn't even realize until now her eyes are not very
prominent
in these, or the 20 or so others I took. I need to pay attention to that thanks for pointing it out

I almost like number 7. I really WANT to like number 7. I'm having a hard time with the focus. Did you consider cloning that white/light spot at the corner of her glasses?

Again, I think if something was sharp... say her eye lashes, I'd be totally sold.

Pete

I don't like the 'loose focus'.

It's one thing...to have a really shallow DOF but then you still need something is sharp focus. Soft focus is another option...but that is still different from out of focus.

Great spontaneity though. I like #4...but wish that it was sharper.

DeepSpring said:
I'd like to hear what you think. I know the focus is loose with some of them but that's what I was going for. Do you think it works?

The one that could have struck me – no. 4, because she looks at you – unfortunately has just about everything out of focus that matters. And the only thing that's IN focus – her skin blemishes – is the ONE thing that should have been out of focus...!
What were you thinking, Deep?

I didn't think about cloning the white spot as it as just a sticker and figured it goes there but it would I'm sure it would look better cloned

Yeah as I said it wasn't like a "lets go do a shoot" but just as we were infront of my house talking so I wasn't really setting up every shot nearly as much as I should have. Thanks for the replies I'll make sure to keep it sharper next time

With all due respect, soft focus is not the same as out-of-focus, which is how many of these appear.

Because they are all horizonal, I really only like 4, 7, and 8 (not considering the aforementioned focus issues).

I think these shots are composed well for nontraditional portraits. For portraits, I really prefer the verticals ulnless you are working the unique compositions that you have in 4, 7, and 8.

For me, 1, 2, and 6 are right out. I hate to be brutal, but I prefer brutal honesty if someone doesn't like something of mine...(and I was absolutly destroyed in a recent crit at school). Those three don't even look as though they were taken by the same photographer. I have been following you around the site, and I really enjoy your work, but for these three (1, 2, & 6), I think you were just phoning it in.

Most reactions

Back