First Real Try At a Photoshoot.

Pedro_lopez

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We didn't do too much planning on the photoshoot since it was my first time with the model and first female model in general, I wanted to build a good relationship with her that way she is comfortable enough with me to shoot some more. As a guy I'm also nervous about telling girls things like what nail polish, what clothes, and overall what styles to go for since I don't know much about all that yet.
Bleach Look Away Gram.jpg
Caution red gram.jpg
Moody Green gram.jpg

I really need some criticism. I tried dodging and burning but I'm thinking I need to learn somewhere Because the model says she doesn't like how her cheek looks like a bump in the first photo. What do you guys think?

@Derrel @tirediron @nerwin @benhasajeep

1 and 3 are nice. Not a fan of 2.

The bright area below neck and shoulder in #1 seems a bit distracting? Maybe burn it a little/reduce highlights here?

..the model says she doesn't like how her cheek looks like a bump in the first photo.
Exactly! She knows how light affects her looks, and so should you.

To overcome this problem, use fill flash or a reflector. Flash is easier to use.

I wish you didn't have that awful "Caution" sign in the second. It would certainly be the best of the bunch. What is going on with her eyelashes in the first and second?

I wish you didn't have that awful "Caution" sign in the second. It would certainly be the best of the bunch. What is going on with her eyelashes in the first and second?

I like the Caution sign...kind of a visual pun!

Eyelashes--high sun as main light is causing the eyelashes to show their shadow! I like that effect...it's sometimes seen, not often, but sometimes.

I agree about the cheek's shape-rendering in shot #1--not the best angle on her face with that lighting, and it does make her cheek look a bit, well...ungainly I guess woukld be a polite way to put it. I like the third shot's look at her...kind of an appealing camera view of her.

How To Photograph Women Beautifully...an oldie but a goodie! Look for it used. It will teach you a lot.

Women have not changed much in thousands of years, so this 1980's book will teach you a LOT.

Funny thing: I saw the book author's basic clamshell lighting setup on America's Top Model, being used on-location...a now 35-year-old basic glamour headshot setup, which is shown and discussed in the book to a very high degree...and the SAME, exact basics being used by a modern-day pro shooting modeling shots. This lighting pattern is easy to use on women, and looks good, and has looked great, across the decades.

Has some good tips on basic makeup strategies, lens selection, lighting, how to shoot things, a whole wealth of knowledge; the kind of stuff that used to be found only in books.

Apart from getting a fill flash and or reflector,
If you have been reading some of the threads on using flash, you already know there is a learning curve, but having done so, your photography will advance tremendously. A reflector is as cheap as a sheet of white foamcore, but you will have to have a trained assistant to hold it and position it to good effect. In time, you will acquire more than one flash, some modifiers, light stands, remote triggers, gels, grids, and more.

I kind of agree, the second one would be the best shot by far without the sign in it.

Caution red gram.jpg

For pictures of her I like #2 the best. But I am conflicted with the sign. I like the fact the sign is there in play. But at the same time it's distracting.

If the light was more controlled in #1. I don't think it would be a better shot. Like if the light was restricted to just her eyes. But with it spilling over part of her torso, I don't think it works.

Many years ago somebody here told me that the difference between a good photographer and a bad photographer is the size of his/her wastebasket.

I'd dump #1, no reasonable amount of post processing will save it.

#2 I like the sign, it made me smile. BUT it distracts from the lovely young lady and having seen qmr55's crop I like it MUCH better than the original.

#3 is a nice shot and worth processing. :)

Remember, it's digital, you can afford to take a hundred shots (or 500) and keep just the one that's an absolute cracker.

I see serious potential. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Honestly the biggest challenge for that day was looking through my Evf or viewfinder. Was tough figuring out how the photo came out.

So I definitely took advantage of digital photography and shot a few and checked back in shade.

I can't argue with the fact the photo looks less distracting without the sign now after seeing the crop.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

New Topics

Back