First Self Portrait

Guinness

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This my first self portrait, I don't have much in the way of lighting so I used a single candle placed just to the right of the lens on the edge of the desk. I also have one in black and white but it looks a bit blue.
This one is black and white with a little skin tone added back in.
20060219_0529PS.jpg

Let me know what you think.:blushing:

I like it. I wish there was a bit more light (like you said) but only slightly. Maybe just a little work with levels in photoshop. All together, nice photo.

-Fiona

I think this is a creative attempt for your first try. There's an interesting interaction between your tattoo and your own hands. Unfortunately I do think that both the lighting and the contrast are rather flat. You can fix the contrast using levels in software as Tsimiri said, but for the lighting, I would have moved the candle to the side more. Having it near the lens has the same effect as a flash. All the light is even over the subject and you don't get good shadows to model the body's structure.

There's and odd thing with the candle. You'd think it being a flame would give you a soft light, but since it's so small, all the light is coming from one place. So even though it's weak, it does create somewhat harsh shadows, very much like a bare flash. Once you adjust the levels, you can see this on the shadow under your right arm. The longer the shutter speed and the more the flame jumps, the less harsh it will be, but that only goes so far, as the flame is so small.

Thank you for your comments. The tattoo is actually taken from a photo of my own hands.

Being my first attempt it was more of an experiment as to whether I could create the picture I saw in my mind, I'm nearly there, although as you say it looks rather flat.

Most reactions

Back