First semi-serious portrait attempt. C&C appreciated.

Moe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[deleted]

Last edited:
lovely focus on the eyes, tad bit of photoshop would be nice but the one thing thats really buggin me is the tshirt on the shoulder is cut off.

One of my New Year's resolutions was to lurk less, post and comment more. Another was to get out and shoot instead of looking at others' photos or dreaming of what equipment to buy next. I think I'm most interested in portrait photography, mostly with artificial lighting.

You and I share the same New Year's resolution. I started a 365 project (photo a day) to help with this and so far it's been great.

As for the portrait, I love it. The eyes are the most important visual point on a portrait and you nailed that perfectly. If you ever get a shot that doesn't have the same beautiful eyes as this one, you can use the dodge tool set to midtones on the eyes and it helps bring life into them.

Composition is great and I really can't find something I don't like about it. :thumbup: The fact that your wife is very pretty probably helped a lot too! :)

Very nice, the two nits for me are the aforementioned t-shirt off the shoulder and the hand. I find the narrow edge of the hand toward the camera is a little more pleasing. It can make the hand look smaller.

Very nice

I find the narrow edge of the hand toward the camera is a little more pleasing. It can make the hand look smaller.

+1

Beautiful Eyes too

Thanks for the comments. I didn't even notice the shirt, and trust me I've spent a lot of time looking at this photo. I actually did a fair amount of PP, but didn't want to go overboard. Also, thanks for the tip about the hand. I have read that, but it's hard to apply everything you've read when you actually get out there and do it. More practice is needed. And more reading...and more practice...and so on. Thanks, and hopefully more to come!

Nice job.
I didn't notice, or care about the shirt/corner thing.

The shoulder/shirt isnt a problem to me, and I do like the catchlight in her eyes. A very nice portrait, thats for sure.

Turning the camera to portrait orientation would have improved the portrait quite a bit. As a horizontal it's about 50% person, 50% featureless backdrop. The lighting is soft and generally flattering to her facial structure,and her rapport with the camera is excellent.

Thanks guys. Derrel, I tried that, but it was rather difficult as I was working in a tight space, and it just didn't look right for some reason. Also, I didn't like the fact that the chair would show. I'm gonna try again with a different chair and in a different place. Also, thanks for the comment about the rapport with the camera.

over all nice work, nothing wrong here PS may make it pop just a little more.. just a thought...

Most reactions

Back