First Serious Shoot with model

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by JonnyVPA, Aug 25, 2006.

1. JonnyVPA

JonnyVPA TPF Noob!

Scranton, PA is my Hometown but im constantly movi
    Can you guys gimme some critique on these..... i practiced with a girl a few times but this girl payed me and she liked em.... im just afraid that she didnt get her moneys-worth..... but im too much of a perfectionist....

I shot these on a Minolta 7xi... mostly with a 28-80 Minolta f3.5? lens(its been a while since i owned that camera) on Fuji 400 film... I didnt think the weather was gonna be that sunny or i wouldve gone down to 100 or 200

thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

I don't think they are bad. I'm curious what she was looking for with these? The thing that jumps at me is maybe I would have liked to see some closer up shots. For me I believe #1 and #7 are the best.

3. V.Alonso

V.Alonso TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    wow...#1 is relly nice... dont be so harsh on yourself, they all look very nice...

4. CHRISTIAN2170

CHRISTIAN2170 TPF Noob!

you have a little white balance problem.

5. ShelleySnapz

ShelleySnapz Photographer for hire!

Definately #1 is the fave of mine, nearly all are a bit over exposed, I like the pose in #6 but the grass is way blown out, you might try to convert it to monochrome and play with the levels for a darker feel to it

6. theoryblue

theoryblue TPF Noob!

I'd say overall this are pretty good. I agree on the overexposure factor. Most def #1 is my favorite also.

7. JonnyVPA

JonnyVPA TPF Noob!

any heavy suggestions on what to keep blown out and what not.... see thats my problem..... i didnt read enough on portrait and modeling when it came to DOF

8. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you have some great compositions here. Just a couple of suggestions from me. Be careful with how you pose her. I don't think the pose is very flattering to her body in either #2 or #7. But, the idea for both of them is good. I think #6 might look cool if you cropped it to just above where the skin of her leg is showing.

9. ShootHoops

ShootHoops TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really like the first one.

10. JonnyVPA

JonnyVPA TPF Noob!

thank you very much everyone... i feel a bit better...... oh and "Finisher" haha i use a Quantaray 28-90mm Nikon D myself

not a bad lens i must say for someone who usually goes with name brand

11. theoryblue

theoryblue TPF Noob!

DOF is not really what you need to worry about here when it comes to blowing out the highlights. Since black is a dominant color in these photographs I would spot meter a black area in the same light as your subject, most likely her dress, and then adjust your exposure so that you are under exposing by - 2 stops (for print film multiply by two). This will render your blacks black and all of your other tones will fall into place. I would also bracket your exposures since the light is always changing.

12. Mihai

Mihai TPF Noob!

I'm a super beginner, but I think that the biggest problem was the 400 ISO and the harsh light. Most pics have too harsh a contrast with overexposed portions (skin and sky) and no details. I think a 50 film and a different time of the day would have made a big difference. However, I love #1!

M.