First Session Ever

tabbymichelle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
lorephotography.gq.nu
I have NEVER posted a photo on here because quite frankly I have been too scared. lol I thought I would work up enough guts to see if I am doing okay. I KNOW that there is a lot of room for improvement(that's why I am in school) and as I look at them, I recognize things I could have done better. This was just a really quick indoor holiday session for some friends and I used my pretty old 5 MPIX camera.

*Deep Breath*

Here it goes...

DSCF1433.jpg

DSCF1420.jpg

DSCF1418.jpg

DSCF1414.jpg

DSCF1427.jpg

Ive only posted once(nature) so Im in the same boat as you. I think you did ok for your first go (especially with 2 little ones)....I would drop the cuddly toy tho because I think its too big. Number 2 is my fav.

Ok, I'll offer a critique--please know I'm not trying to tear you down, just pointing out a few things that I've learned in my short time as a photog.

This is a tough shoot just in the way you have it set up. I'm guessing you're using the on camera flash--which tends to be really tough to control. Often you get really harsh shadows etc.
1. The plush toy is way blown out--looks like his fur is not only white, but a tad reflective as well. Kind of a double whammy. Composition--the crop is interesting, but it feels a bit tight to me? He looks like he's sitting pretty far behind her. The posing kind of accentuates their body types. He's skinny as a rail, and she's a bit more voluptuous, so maybe put him in front, with her behind with her arms around his neck on his chest--this might help even things out for them.
2. The one kid looking off in another direction is distracting, as is the bib on the other. Maybe pull back a tad to show either more of their feet and mantle above. Her white wrap is overiding all the other tones in the portrait.

3. Cute pic, but again, the toy is totally blown.

4. My favorite by far. Again pull back just a tad to get all of his feet and the handle of the wagon. Or, better yet, have him cross his legs indian style as perspective makes his feet look HUGE compared to the rest of his body.

5. Face is flash washed, and his shoulder is cut off. The window is a bit distracting, and it looks like a small amount of camera shake is softening things up.

Overall, if this was just an impromptu session, and some of your first work, I think you did an excellent job. Your eye for composition shows promise with a little bit of tweaking. I suggest a reshoot with this family, make it outdoors in early evening to get some softer light and so you don't have to worry about controlling a flash.

So good job, and keep shooting!!

Hope that helps!

thanks for the critique. I agree that the snowman was too much, but try telling a 2 year old that without them crying lol. This was SUCH a hard one because he was EVERYWHERE and the littlest one was very cranky. She was starting to lose her nerve with them. :lmao:

It is afterall my first and I would have done outdoor shots, but it was 20 degrees that day and I didn't want them to have the baby out in that weather.

She asked me to do a few photos of herself, so I may do it when it starts to warm up. Right now its just "bleh" outside.

Again, thanks for the comments, it really does help me in my learning!

tabbymichelle said:
thanks for the critique. I agree that the snowman was too much, but try telling a 2 year old that without them crying lol. This was SUCH a hard one because he was EVERYWHERE and the littlest one was very cranky. She was starting to lose her nerve with them. :lmao:

It is afterall my first and I would have done outdoor shots, but it was 20 degrees that day and I didn't want them to have the baby out in that weather.

She asked me to do a few photos of herself, so I may do it when it starts to warm up. Right now its just "bleh" outside.

Again, thanks for the comments, it really does help me in my learning!

What lense/camera are you using? A shot in a sunroom or other well lighted room might be an alternative to a 20* photo shoot, LOL!

They do seem to have that "snap-shop' feel to them...mostly from the on-camera flash. If you can use a window for lighting, possibly with a reflector as well...that will help a lot.

Or if you can use some other form of off camera lighting, that will help as well.

Kids can be little monsters when you are trying to photograph them, it's a good job that you got them to sit still long enough to get these.

Big Mike said:
They do seem to have that "snap-shop' feel to them...mostly from the on-camera flash. If you can use a window for lighting, possibly with a reflector as well...that will help a lot.

Or if you can use some other form of off camera lighting, that will help as well.

Kids can be little monsters when you are trying to photograph them, it's a good job that you got them to sit still long enough to get these.

Yep...getting away from the on board flash is the best thing that has happened to my photography. I have totally fallen in love with natural lighting!

I agree with much of what has been said...keep practicing, and don't be afraid to post here! I've learned TONS by posting here!

Ok, I'm gonna weigh in here, and believe me, this is something I'm still trying to get the hang of too. Crank that flash all the way around backwards and bounce it off a wall or if low enough, the ceiling. Turn it down.....might have to go down as far as one stop. Use the walls, the ceiling, a white shirt, whatever, but bouncing makes all the difference. Also, straight on shooting works, but you want to break it up a bit. Shoot high, shoot low. Lay on the floor, stand on a table, shoot from the side. Break it up a bit to make it more visually interesting.
Using natural lighting is fine, but in the situation you are going to have to have a lens 2.8 or faster. Otherwise you are going to have to use a reflector or flash or something. But since it's so dark, remember to bounce it. (Something I just learned this week with amazing results!)
The photos aren't bad. You have a lot of great expression there. You have an eye. Just a little fine tuning is all that's needed here.

elsaspet said:
Crank that flash all the way around backwards and bounce it off a wall or if low enough, the ceiling. Turn it down.....might have to go down as far as one stop. Use the walls, the ceiling, a white shirt, whatever, but bouncing makes all the difference.

Absolutely. If all you have to work with is one small light (your flash), then you have to find a way to turn it into a much larger light. If you can't use an umbrella or softbox, then use the ceiling and walls. Of course, white walls work best. You will lose a lot of your effective exposure doing this (maybe 2 full stops or more), but that's OK too. The results will be shallower DoF, giving depth to your photos by providing separation of the subject(s) from the background. This will also help illuminate the background.

Try to resist over-propping. Props like the stuffed toy are nice, but work better when the subject is interacting with it. Usually, less "stuff" will help keep the viewers attention on the subject.

Good luck!

Pete

ShutteredEye said:
What lense/camera are you using? A shot in a sunroom or other well lighted room might be an alternative to a 20* photo shoot, LOL!

Actually, I was just using my point and shoot digital. This wasn't really a serious shoot and I wasn't using lighting of any kind. She's just a friend who wanted someone to take somewhat decent photos so that she could give them out in a christmas card.

I have a film camera that I am very new with using. It's a canon t2 and I have two lenses for it. I have a Sigma 28-90mm and a Sigma 70-300mm lens.

I have been looking into buying a new digital because I want an SLR, instead of my old point and shoot. I have been looking at the rebel xt. Like I said I am EXTREMELY new to everything and I just bought the film camera so that I could have it for school. Only been in school for a little over 4 months.

hehe, for the record, I am just going to tell everyone that I was using a point and shoot digital not an SLR. It was a built in flash and I wasn't using any lighting because it was for a friends christmas card. I have been in school for a little over 4 months and everything is so new to me. I am looking into buying a digital SLR. I have the film SLR, like I mentioned in my previous post for school. I ordered a starter light kit so maybe I will be able to get better. *crosses fingers*

just keep at it michelle and listen to the expert advice you'll receive in this gallery. some very knowledgable and helpful people here...just look above you ^^^^ :lol:

Well for someone using a point and shoot, I think you did a wonderful job. What SLR are you looking at?

elsaspet said:
Well for someone using a point and shoot, I think you did a wonderful job. What SLR are you looking at?
Thanks! I was sure when I seen some of the comments that all hope was lost, but I realized I really didn't explain in my first post what kind of equipment I was using =/

I have been looking at the rebel xt, just until I learn a little more about everything. I would probably someday down the road buy one a few steps up. I really need a lot of suggestions on that from people who know what they're doing.. I guess that's why I am here. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back