first shot at HDR... ever

Witness

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've never done this before, never even been a big fan of it. I do not usually do much post shot adjusting. Well i had my house to myself tonight, a six pack and about 30min of pure frustration this is what i ended up with.

most likely my first and last go at HDR unless i can find a way to incorporate it into my real estate business in a tasteful manor.

as always with me, comments are always welcomed no matter how harsh they are

IMG_4146_8_4_7_9_5.jpg

It looks.... odd. Not sure why and can't quite describe it, but after looking at it for a while I think I quite like it.

With regards to real estate, HDR is great for inside shots that show nice scenery out of the windows instead of just white.

I think first off, the source images had a white balance problem which gives it the orange tint.

The other problem is that it's not tone mapped properly. I'm not sure what effect the OP was going for, the surreal look or a real look just with more detail. It looks somewhere in between.

Whole thing looks out of focus to me, but I kind of like it with the exception of the (chair back?) in the foreground.

The whole idea originally was to capture the feeling of sitting at the table looking down the hall, obviously it didn't quite work out as planned. Part of the table with an ash try and a mostly empty wine glass were originally in the shot but I had a hard time making it work out.

I went a little over board with the surreal look on purpose to get a good idea of what to avoid next time and to maybe capture some good ideas from C&C. Sometimes I think making mistakes on purpose to gain a good idea out of a review is a helpful tool. If an image is "close" to the way it should be you might miss out on someone giving you an idea or saying "hey try this next time." I like to think that HDR is a good media to use mistakes to your advantage.

The more I stare at this the more I want to go back and get the shot the way it was intended. So I'm going to go back and correct the white balance to get rid of that candle light effect, also tone down the cartoonish look.

Theres a strange tint to it... I think it's in focus - the film just gives it that look (it is film correct?).
I like the way you set it up tho. My only comment in that field would be to move more towards the right (on the grass), because from the angle what really is a screen and shingles almost looks like the side of and old factory or warehouse.

Theres a strange tint to it... I think it's in focus - the film just gives it that look (it is film correct?).
I like the way you set it up tho. My only comment in that field would be to move more towards the right (on the grass), because from the angle what really is a screen and shingles almost looks like the side of and old factory or warehouse.

No, it's not film. It's a digital HDR that's been tonemapped. Or it could just be a tonemapped single image, but either way it's not film.

Most reactions

Back