First shot at photography

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by dgarza715, Jul 31, 2009.

1. dgarza715

dgarza715 TPF Noob!

I recently purchased a Nikon D90 and a Nikkor-Micro 55mm manual lens. Here is my first shot at taking some photos with it. Let me know what you guys thing and how i can improve. Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Taaron

Taaron TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Looks pretty good.... I like simplicity... I think the images look crisp and accurate ...... :thumbup:

3. Philly101

Philly101 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    These look great. The fourth one seems blurry, but the rest look really sharp. The lighting is nice and soft . . . perfect for product shots like this. The first two might be better with a little more exposure (in other words, they seem under-exposed.) I say this because you have lost the detail in the shape of the angled beads. On the shadowed side you can't distinguish the facets. It seems like you have either a second light or a reflector on the left. If it's a light, you might try turning up the power a little, if it's a reflector, you might move it closer or use a more reflective surface.
    Also, I like how the silver clasp is reflecting the light in the second one better than the first.
    Hope this is helpful. They look really good over all.

4. dgarza715

dgarza715 TPF Noob!

Thanks, I really suprised myself when i saw how some of these turned out but i guess out of 300+ pics at least one should be decent. As for the lighting right now i'm using 3 100W daylight flourescent bulbs but they just done't seem to put out enough light, i had them practically right on top of the pieces to get good lighting. Any suggestions on what kind of lights i should be using for this type of photography?

5. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, fluorescent lighting isn't really good to use for photography.
    This web site should help answer that question.

6. ocular

ocular TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Have you tried masking your light with cheese cloth ? I don't get why more people don't divulge this little secret. Anyway yeh buy some and hang it infront of your light source to soften the light, it's cheaper then buying a softbox and works really well with jewelery pictures, especially silver ;)

7. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Got any sample images?