First shot posted C&C please

Sheddingskin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first pic posted on this site, and one that I've taken wit hmy limited knowledge of my new (to me) D60. I didn't like it much at first, but its growing on me.

20100127-20100127-DSC_0189.jpg

ISO 200 f7.1 1/100 sec

This was taken in the Cleveland Metroparks of the Hilliard Road bridge, from underneath the I-90 bridge. It's about 25 degrees out, so this was just a quickie.

Im curious, what didn't you like about the photo at first? There's some composition and exposure issues to deal with here I think. The sky/background is overexposed and the perspective you chose shows too many distractions to really appreciate/focus on the bridge. Maybe try getting the bridge from a different angle and work on getting the exposure settings down. Im working on all those things I just mentioned myself so just keep shooting and practicing!!

best wishes

I thought it was a little too busy and kind of blah (I think the sky has partly to do with this).

So should I have metered for the sky first and then set my camera halfway in between or something?

Here's another that I think is a little more simple. I also took this today. Again, C&C welcome

20100127-20100127-DSC_0194.jpg

...So should I have metered for the sky first and then set my camera halfway in between or something?

What is it in that image with the bridge that you want to capture? Is it the contrast between the sky and the ground? Is it the architecture of the bridge? Is it the river underneath it?

You need to find the subject that has to be emphasized (and metered/exposed correctly) otherwise it's just a snapshot.

The sky is way too bright. Wrong time of the day (too early) and wrong weather conditions.

I see strong shadows underneath the bridge so it was pretty sunny without many clouds. That kills your exposure. Unless you do an HDR you're pretty much lost (depending on which elements you want to emphasize).

For an image like this you need more diffused light that you get when it's cloudy or overcast. Then you can get a much better balance between the sky and ground.

Once you get the exposure right, play with the composition. I could see some nice shots from that location.

This is my first pic posted on this site, and one that I've taken wit hmy limited knowledge of my new (to me) D60. I didn't like it much at first, but its growing on me.

20100127-20100127-DSC_0189.jpg

ISO 200 f7.1 1/100 sec

This was taken in the Cleveland Metroparks of the Hilliard Road bridge, from underneath the I-90 bridge. It's about 25 degrees out, so this was just a quickie.

Wow!! I've actually thought about taking a picture of that bridge in the past.

It's hilarious. I saw your picture before I saw where you're from or your post...and I immediately was thinking, "is that the bridge in the metroparks??" and I studied it for a good 15-20 seconds before reading your post.

Great picture! My ex lived about 2 minutes away from there so we were constantly down in the valley walking the dog and such. What an amazing place to take pictures.

If the sky from the 2nd picture was in the 1st - i would like it a whole lot more. Never the less...I still like it. Could of done with a bit more exposure along the river.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back