first shot with a film camera (testing, testing)

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Dew, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

this is the first photo i ever took with a film camera (im a digital baby) .. b&h photo is right down the street :lol: ... i had to test it, make sure they didnt sell me a lemon :lol:

anywho ... nothing special, just wanted to share my first film venture ... seems a little dark, but this b&w film (Illford HP5) seems to be a little darker than my digital stuff .. so i gotta get used to it (or perhaps its just under-exposed :roll: .. that could also be a possibility)

[​IMG]

2. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    in what are you developing it? try shooting it at 320.

3. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    while i'm at it, it may be apparently darker compared to your digi work, but there is good reason for that.

since the inception of digi, it has been unable to handle highlight values very well. that said, a film shot, in comparison, may seem 'darker' to you. to me, your highlights are in line, the mid-tones are nice, and the shadow values show texture.

4. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

im noticing more detail in my shadows, that for sure ... very rich ... it looks very different in comparison

i also tried some color film in my studio (i think the fuji reala, or something) ... the colors were impressive ...

i also tried the b&w film that can be developed at a color lab, i just call it C41 :lol: ... it seemed a little flat :? ... but then again, that could also be my screw ups

one i did of the hubby a few moments after, as u can see, he's always a willing participant :lol: ... i brighten this one up a little, but it wasnt as dark.. on a pc, it may be darker, im on a MAC

if u see this man walking in your path .... RUN!!!!! :lol:

[​IMG]

5. Jnet

Jnet TPF Noob!

I like. I went from digi to film a few months ago. I think I am going back tho. Anyways, if you want some AMAZING colors try using Fuji Velvia 50 or 100. I swear if there was a film from heaven, this is it!

G'luck with film. :D

6. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

we got two of the color films ... i read a post somewhere here and they mentioned them both ... i think the other brand was kodak ... i was impressed by the colors ... on my african-american friend, it had a slight red tint to it ... on a caucasian male client that i did a shoot for (i used digital, but brought the film camera along) ... the colors were very accurate .. but i also used a softbox

i think for color portraits, i like the digital better .. seems more "crisp" and clean to me ... maybe i need to explore a little more

i wont give my digital just yet ... i can have fun with both :D

7. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey Dew! Just swoopin' in to check out your progress with film. I like the range of tones displayed in doxx's photo.

You'll want to learn what sort of exposure works out for each film you try out. Today I shot Astia for portraits. I discovered that it does well slightly underexposed. Sensia, on the other hand, likes a little more exposure. Remember, film speed is recommended.

So what did you develop the HP5 in?

8. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

were using the Ilford line for developing .. its been pretty good so far, what do u think of this brand?

as far as film, im quite liking the Ilford HP5 400 the best, so far ... i like the contrast and the grain .... what do u think about that C41?

and if u could recommend some other nice b&w film with a high contrast (i like super high contrast :D ) .. that would be nice

9. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

ilford pan-f iso 50. It took me awhile to get used to it, but the way the pictures came out really drew out the shadows of my subject. its expensive though...here i go bitching again!!

md

10. photobug

photobug TPF Noob!

Ahhhhhh, Dew proves yeat again that it isn't the media, it's the link between the camera grip and the shutter release that makes the difference.

As much as I like digital (which must be a lot considering what I just spent [and still need to spend] on a dslr) there's just something special about holding that transparency or print in your hand that still blows me away.

It's nice to have the ability to do both.

11. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So true. Nice shots :) I think it's great that you are shooting both digital and film. I hope to make the move to film in the next year as well. I just can't afford to process that much film, at the rate I'm shooting now :p

12. Dew

Dew TPF Noob!

here's one of my test shots from the fuji reala ... im not really sure what to think about this photo... i had problems with flash fall out (flash sync) .. im use to flash sync-ing up to 1/450 :D ... but with a little more trial and error .. i'll get it together

[​IMG]