First shots for magazine, please cc

ga_shooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out and shot a historic home today that is mid point in renovation. Please let me know what you think of these they are right out of the camera with very little work done to them in the way of adjusting, cropping and the like. Please be critical when needed, i want them to be as good as they can be.
THanks

1440069147_eadd8198f7.jpg

1440084893_add9b981c1.jpg

1440936862_466129e034.jpg

1440101401_3de77967f6.jpg

1440109231_d303c29a90.jpg

1441009764_9bf2c81e0a.jpg

1440163373_872a2366b6.jpg

i wont offer any cc since this isnt a good area for me and i would just be blowing smoke, but i am curious to know what kind of magazine are you shooting for and how did it come about?

I really like the interior shots - but the exterior light is so harsh. Can you go back early in the morning or during sunset? I think the golden hour would make this house look a lot better.

Of course, this all depends on what the photos are supposed to convey.

I really like the interior shots - but the exterior light is so harsh. Can you go back early in the morning or during sunset? I think the golden hour would make this house look a lot better.

Of course, this all depends on what the photos are supposed to convey.

Thanks on the interior shots, I always feel like I am overexposing them and to me these almost look too bright.
I completely agree about the lighting, but the house belongs to the Georgia Trust and I am at the mercy of when someone is willing to drive out to open the gate to the house. I tried to get them to agree to early or late and 10am was the best I could get. Then the person meeting me was a bit late, so these are taken at 10:30 roughly.

i wont offer any cc since this isnt a good area for me and i would just be blowing smoke, but i am curious to know what kind of magazine are you shooting for and how did it come about?

It's a really long story but i will try to condense it down to a few lines! My husband and I have a business, LAAL Ltd. where he builds websites and does internet marketing, and I run the family business (tuffoot.com) I wanted to branch out and do something on the web other than an e-commerce site since i am already doing that and its not fulfilling at all. So, after a lot of consideration I choose an online magazine.

The reason its focused on homes ( insidegeorgiahomes.com ) is because i have been redoing houses for the last 12 years and grew up in an 1880's farmhouse, it seemed like a natural progression for me when put together with my passion for photography.

So, i write the articles and take the pictures, and my husband does the SEO, and then the money comes in from Ad revenue and local real estate listings. The launch date is Jan 1 2008, its a lot of work getting ready, but i know it will be worth it. If you can drive enough traffic to your site with good pictures and interesting stories (and lots of marketing!) there is ALOT of money in it!

what a great house! while its semi gutted throw in Central heating/cooling!

I think that the outside needs some softer light. Maybe earlier in the morning or evening? Not too late to where the tree shadows mess everything up though, I learned that the hard way :)

The interior shot are not overexposed IMO. If you have what you have, as far as timing is concerned, maybe try a CPL or ND filters. The lighting is a bit too harsh if you want to put it in a magazine.

Other tools that might help: a step ladder, a crowbar or a hacksaw to get through the fence.

The interior shot are not overexposed IMO. If you have what you have, as far as timing is concerned, maybe try a CPL or ND filters. The lighting is a bit too harsh if you want to put it in a magazine.

Other tools that might help: a step ladder, a crowbar or a hacksaw to get through the fence.

Is there anything i can do after the fact in PS? Filters in that respect, or do you mean to re shoot it?

I was meaning if you had the opportunity to go back and reshoot, then use a filter if the sun is still that harsh.

My skills with PS are truely inept, but there are plenty of people here that might can help. Perhaps even HDR.

Ideally, if you are to do a lot of these, you need the long wide angle shot to be un-distorted, professional architectural photos are allways straight, no converging verticals or bowed lines.
You cant help but use wide inside, if you are to get a decent capture of the best part of a room.
I dont know if this is important in the big scheme of things, but you'd need a tilt/shift lens or a camera with movements to eliminate distortion.
Or photoshop, I dunno, I dont use it.
It might not matter..

Personally, I love the thought that I NEED a new lens...like...really NEED..:mrgreen:

Ideally, if you are to do a lot of these, you need the long wide angle shot to be un-distorted, professional architectural photos are allways straight, no converging verticals or bowed lines.
You cant help but use wide inside, if you are to get a decent capture of the best part of a room.
I dont know if this is important in the big scheme of things, but you'd need a tilt/shift lens or a camera with movements to eliminate distortion.
Or photoshop, I dunno, I dont use it.
It might not matter..

Personally, I love the thought that I NEED a new lens...like...really NEED..:mrgreen:

I would love to get one! I know I need it, but, i won't have it in the budget for a while. The photos will be for the web, more like the realty photos that you see all over the place. I know that a tilt shift would be ideal, but many realty sites do not use photographers with that level of equipment and no one seems to be complaining. The articles will be 800 to 1000 words with two or three shots to go with them. Not all full scene, maybe one wide angle shot and the rest close up detail shots done with a 55mm.
I know the post says magazine, i have a tendency to say that but what i mean is ezine. Do you think these will work for that application? Or should i go back to the drawing board?

Two questions come to mind.
1) What's your deadline?
2) Are you satisfied with the results?

Other questions will spawn from those two, but I think they are the crux of the biscuit.

Two questions come to mind.
1) What's your deadline?
2) Are you satisfied with the results?

Other questions will spawn from those two, but I think they are the crux of the biscuit.

Launch is Jan 1 2008 - plenty of time

I am mostly satisfied. I would like the exterior shots to be better, however I have to bust my hump to get a lot of other things in line and in the end this will be one article out of hundreds hanging out there in a database in cyberworld. Of course that being said, i want designers and renovators to want to be featured, so it has to be better than average joe with a point and shoot. What do you think, have i accomplished that?

What do you think, have i accomplished that?

You should be proud to show them in an e-zine, with one exception, the money shot...#1. IMO, the washed out sky and the white house doesn't do it justice. Also, the post that is blocking the left window is distracting. However, bear in mind this is C&C of a photo. I have browsed the reality pages and this would be an acceptable entry, but I think you stated you want to stand out from all the "average joe's" that will be there as well.

Most reactions

Back