First Shots w/ 70-200 IS 2.8 & 2X Extender

z06-jim

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These were taken in my backyard while testing out my new Canon 2X Extender for the first time on my 70-200 IS 2.8 lens & 5DII.
I'm aware that the originals aren't composed worth a crap.
What I would like to know is if this about the normal IQ for this particular combo?
3 different shots comparing the original size & heavily cropped image
F5.6 @ 400 ISO....can't remember shutter speed...Hand held at max. 400mm focal range.
All comments appreciated….

541975775_TFnqe-L.jpg

541975765_BuFsx-L.jpg

541975727_wQrCS-L.jpg

Check out the fly on top of his head...
541975742_8XSke-L.jpg

541975644_EsWGm-L.jpg

I never knew geese had teeth!!!
541975716_cotA3-L.jpg

Last edited:
What I would like to know is if this about the normal IQ for this particular combo?

not sure exactly what you mean but if you're talking about the image quality drop off than yes there is quite a loss of IQ with the 70-200 & 2.0TC combo

edit: on second thought, to the point where i would never see myself even touching "400mm"
think of it this way they sell the 400mm for like 5 grand..

so a cheap TC wont give you that.

I have the Nikon 70-200 & tried out a 2x TC once and hated what it did to the image quality. The only TC I will put on is a 1.4x, and that's if I REALLY need it, which doesn't happen very often. I find that I usually get a better image with the straight lens and deeper cropping than with a TC.

To get the up-close shots, especially with birds, I broke down and bought an older manual focus 500mm f/4, which I picked up for not much more than I spent on the 70-200, and the IQ is outstanding, even for an older lens.

In my experience, the 2x is worthless on the 70-200 and I hate to use it on my 600 f/4. There is just too much image quality loss. The 1.4 works great on both of my lenses, but the 2x is a waste of money IMHO. If you are happy with it, that is all that matters. If I needed a 400mm lens often enough to warrent getting a 2x teleconverter, then I would start saving and go straight for a 400mm prime lens. There is no compairison.

How much did you boost color/contrast? My 2x makes my images look more dull and flat then yours. It could be the 5D mkII, but I am still curious. The colors look good and that suprises me.

Derrick

not sure exactly what you mean but if you're talking about the image quality drop off than yes there is quite a loss of IQ with the 70-200 & 2.0TC combo
edit: on second thought, to the point where i would never see myself even touching "400mm"
think of it this way they sell the 400mm for like 5 grand..
so a cheap TC wont give you that.
Thanks for the comments....got my eye on the 'Canon EF 400mm f/2.8' for a possible future addition....:)

I have used this combo in the past and your getting better results than I did - though your shooting in far better lighting and the 5DM2 is making a big difference to the images you get (when compared to my 400D).

You could try stopping down to around f8 and maybe risk a little higher ISO and some flash to keep the exposure good and that should help keep a little more of the sharpness -- here is my previous test of this combo:
little birds photos test - a set on Flickr

I have the Nikon 70-200 & tried out a 2x TC once and hated what it did to the image quality. The only TC I will put on is a 1.4x, and that's if I REALLY need it, which doesn't happen very often. I find that I usually get a better image with the straight lens and deeper cropping than with a TC.
To get the up-close shots, especially with birds, I broke down and bought an older manual focus 500mm f/4, which I picked up for not much more than I spent on the 70-200, and the IQ is outstanding, even for an older lens.
Thanks....I had read a few negative comments on using the 2X extender with this particular lens before purchasing it...hopefully it will come in handy when I make the upgrade to one of the larger Canon telephoto primes in the future...

Last edited:
From what I have read it works very well with the 300mm f2.8 lens - with a 1.4TC as well it give an outstanding 300mm, strong 420mm and a good 600mm lens - all of which are handholdable (IS helps as well) and not backbreaking.

It's hard to tell from such small images, but from what I see here the 2x looks pretty darn good given how much money you saved buying a 400mm prime.

I just bought a 300mm f/4 prime, it's a great lens for the money ($1,100). Stick a 1.4x on that and you should be golden at 420mm at f/5.6. That's my plan.

In my experience, the 2x is worthless on the 70-200 and I hate to use it on my 600 f/4. There is just too much image quality loss. The 1.4 works great on both of my lenses, but the 2x is a waste of money IMHO. If you are happy with it, that is all that matters. If I needed a 400mm lens often enough to warrent getting a 2x teleconverter, then I would start saving and go straight for a 400mm prime lens. There is no compairison.
How much did you boost color/contrast? My 2x makes my images look more dull and flat then yours. It could be the 5D mkII, but I am still curious. The colors look good and that suprises me.
Derrick
Thanks....got my eye on that 400 prime maybe later down the road....
I shot these in Raw and did quite a bit of PP on these images...they were also quite a bit flat/duller as you stated about yours....

Those looks like some pretty good shots, in my opinion, although the one of the goose has an artifical-looking sky. I would also say that, from what I've tried, teleconverters are generally only used when they have to be used.

Still, nice pics!

I have used this combo in the past and your getting better results than I did - though your shooting in far better lighting and the 5DM2 is making a big difference to the images you get (when compared to my 400D).

You could try stopping down to around f8 and maybe risk a little higher ISO and some flash to keep the exposure good and that should help keep a little more of the sharpness -- here is my previous test of this combo:
little birds photos test - a set on Flickr
Thanks for the tips and link....I'm going to try your suggestion on stopping down to f8 on the next ones....:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back