First Shots With D40

Copacetic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think this is the right place to post this, if not let me know!

I just got my Nikon D40 yesterday, and spent the better part of the afternoon playing around with it. None of my shots are anything special, especially composition-wise, but I thought I'd post a few up anyway. I used the Nikon D40 with 55-200m VR lens for all of these. Critique is welcome, and appreciated!

(hosted on Flickr)

2690792657_11ca2650b5_o.jpg

This dragonfly I caught flitting about around 15 feet away, I used manual focus and zoomed all the way in to 200mm to get these shots.

2690814027_de7cca9027_o.jpg

2690806281_8188bd2ca4_o.jpg

2691609888_2c3c11b8c3_o.jpg

These were taken at about 7:30PM or so, in failing light. The horses are my neighbors'. All shots have had Curves tweaked in Photoshop, and the dragonfly was sharpened.

Thanks,

Josh

I'm no expert but I like your shots, especially for being your first shots with the D40. I wish I could say the same for my first (couple thousand :lol:) shots :playball:. I really like the way the background blurs (known as bokeh) in the last couple horse shots and how clear all the shots are :thumbup:.

Like potownrob I wish my first shots (or the ones I'm taking now) were that good!

I think #4 is great! Nice color and good bokeh.

Background on the dragonfly seems a little distracting to me though.

Thanks for the kind words! Just to note, though; you should see the shots I didn't post. :D

I agree, the brightness/color of the background is distracting in the shot of the dragonfly. It was flitting back and forth between two twigs, here is a shot of it on the other, with a frontal view:

2691606540_247958dd51_o.jpg

Oh, and here's a shot of a yearling, she has her own little paddock with a high fence, so I had to go through the fence rather than above it. I kinda like how it turned out, though, with her looking through the gap in the boards at me. The highlights are a tad bright, especially at her flank, though.

2690802389_aa3a434d6a_o.jpg

I love this camera and lens, it lets me do a LOT more than I could with with my point and shoot. :)

Thoughts on these as well?

Beautiful shots!

I love the second one, the lighting on her(?) coat is magnificent! Maybe with a different crop, so that it is less centered...

Thanks, Kate! Yes, she is a beautiful mare. In retrospect, a tighter crop eliminating the lower left-hand corner would be much better, I agree. *winces*

To the last 2 posters:
• Any images used in signatures will be a MAXIMUM size of 468x60 pixels.
• No animated or flamboyant signatures are allowed.
• No political statements or links are allowed.
• Lengthy lists of camera gear should be put in your user profile, not in your signature.

I hope your kidding.

To the last 2 posters:
• Lengthy lists of camera gear should be put in your user profile, not in your signature.

Duly noted, thank you for pointing that out. I've changed my signature to abide by the rules. Though I would have appreciated it if you'd contributed more to the topic at hand. :p

Any thoughts on the photos? I thrive on comments and constructive criticism. :)

Duly noted, thank you for pointing that out. I've changed my signature to abide by the rules. Though I would have appreciated it if you'd contributed more to the topic at hand. :p

Any thoughts on the photos? I thrive on comments and constructive criticism. :)

You're way to polite. I would of told him to piss off.

Anyways, the pictures....

To tell you the truth, the sharpness of all these pictures, taken from the same camera that I have, tells me that I can do better. These pictures have actually inspired me to work harder. Love the picture where the horse is looking through the gate. Awesome comp. What lens are you using.

You're way to polite. I would of told him to piss off.

Anyways, the pictures....

To tell you the truth, the sharpness of all these pictures, taken from the same camera that I have, tells me that I can do better. These pictures have actually inspired me to work harder. Love the picture where the horse is looking through the gate. Awesome comp. What lens are you using.

Well, rules is rules. Could've been stated nicer, yes, and perhaps elsewhere, but I've had my rude days too. :D

Really?! Well, thank you very much. :blushing: I'm using the Nikkor 55-200mm DX VR, love it so far. Though I didn't get the chance to take any more shots today. If I can't sleep tonight I'm going to do some work in my makeshift studio in my back room. :lol:

Yeah, sorry I read ure first post again. It stated your lens. Im an idiot.

love it :)

and yes, i wish my first shots were something like yours
all of my firsts unfortunately are just a bunch of shaken, unfocused images :)

i like the dragonfly, but would love to see the background a little bit though
i am all for blur and depth of field, but these seems a little blur and its complexity in the background sort of taking away certain attention from the dragonfly itself :D

Thanks, Kate! Yes, she is a beautiful mare. In retrospect, a tighter crop eliminating the lower left-hand corner would be much better, I agree. *winces*
No need to wince! I think you could crop itno problem in photoshop :)

To the last 2 posters:

Erm, were you refering to my signature? If so, I do not believe I am in violation of any of these rules!

No need to wince! I think you could crop itno problem in photoshop :)

Erm, were you refering to my signature? If so, I do not believe I am in violation of any of these rules!

Please do not feed the Troll.

Most reactions

Back