First shots with my new lens at the AutoX

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
North New Jersey, United States of America
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just purchased my first Canon L telephoto lens and wanted a chance to practice. Perfect opportunity came up this past weekend when a buddy of mine invited me to watch him at a club autoX. All shot with Canon L 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 USM IS attached to a Canon D30 body. Had a good time learning how to pan smoothly , time the shots, and work the lens. First set ever with this lens and I'm sure I'll get better with more practice.

53916913.jpg

53916717.jpg

53916654.jpg

53915924.jpg

Ooh! Good stuuf!

I wish I had that lens. On a digital it's a 160-640mm! The longest I have right now is an 85mm (133 or so converted). I wouldn't use it often, but it would be really nice to have that kind of reach available.

Great shots and I too want that lens!
It sells for just a little less than I paid for my 10D so I'll now go away and sulk. :cry:
Glad you're putting it to good use though.

Nice shots, Canon IS lenses are fabulists, Also I thought D30 was slow little motion shots but these good

wow! i wish i had a better camera :( my auto-x pics are pretty good i think, but yours are just AWESOME! great work man!

-Dan

Wow... Thanks for the comments! Shooting the autoX was quite fun especially with this very capable lens. In the past, I've tried similar shots with my ol' canon 70-210 f4 lens. Got ok shots but never as nice as these. Lesson for that day... the quality of the lens really matters. Second lesson of the day... Monopods rock!

BTW,
When I was shopping for telephoto lenses, it came down to two. Tokina 80-400mm f4.5-5.6 and Canon 100-400mm USM IS. Both really impressed me with their build quality and both seemed to have great optics. Both were relatively light and compact for those on the go like me. I personally would like to have the "option" to shoot hand held even though monopod/tripod is the only way to go at these long focal lengths. If IS is not all that important, the Tokina would be a great alternative at about half the price of the Canon. I spent the past few months drooling over this thing in the display case and saving up a few bucks here and there. A few more payments and I'll be done.... no regrets at all.

There was another photographer selling photos from a kiosk at the autoX. He was shooting with a 10D and a sigma 120-300mm f2.8 EX APO HSM lens. Very nice lens and very nice results. Very pro quality; almost wide open shots. Way to bulky and heavy for me though... Watching him made me want to try and do this part time as a side business.. Hmmmmm :idea:

Most reactions

Back