First smoke shots

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can you believe it? All this time, and no smoke shots?

Well here you go:

4450623439_2b65634f0d_b.jpg

A few more in my flickr - see sig.

Post. The bottom half is as shot. Added a green gradient from the top down. (Diagonally from top-left to bottom-right.)

Thanks. It was actually kinda fun. A little hit or miss though ... it's not like you can really control it or anything. Probably took about 50 pictures and got 5 good ones, lol.

Amazing shot! You did a nice job making something like smoke look cool... ;)

Thanks! I can't really take credit though. I just copied what I've seen done here, lol!

true, the concept itself is not new (much like water drop shots) But every one is different cause you cannot do that same shot twice, if you know what I mean. SO again congrats on capturing a good smoke shot. :)

I really like the coloring effect, it adds a certain intrigue and it makes you take a second look at it. As far as doing something different, one thing I enjoy is to take mine and change them from gray smoke on the black background to a negative so the smoke comes in at a really sweet blue color (usually between sky blue and deep navy) and the background is white.

That's a cool idea - I'll have to try that. Thanks.

That's a cool idea - I'll have to try that. Thanks.

No problem. Switching things to a negative is always interesting when you're dealing with something as abstract as smoke, or even other items such as flowers, or other still life.

If you're on a Mac and don't care to go the entire route of making a photograph a negative, you can press, in order Control + Option + Apple + 8 and it will turn your entire screen negative so you can see it. To undo it, you can press the same sequence again.

interesting, what does the original look like?

interesting, what does the original look like?

Almost just like this, but all blue. I added the little bit of green.

Not sure why it came out blue, but I liked it.

Most reactions

Back