First stack

doenoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.daanschouwe.nl
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well this was my first try at stacking pictures. I used my EOS 350D, Sigma 105mm macro and bellows. Also the speedlite 430EX with the Lumiquest. The pic is still full of flaws and the damsel collected some dust while i was setting up the shot. Have to find a way to make the setup more stable too. Was a stack of 38 pictures.
But, im still pretty happy with the outcome. You have to start somewhere :mrgreen:
Stack001.jpg

Thanks for looking
Greetz Daan

Wow..i say thats very well done!

Yup, I would say that rocks pretty hard!

Nice job Doenoe! (Daan!)

38... it sure is a good thing digital film is so cheap! :D

Can some one explain to me what this stacking is? originally i just thought it was combing 38 pictures, but theres no way that doenoe got 38 identical pictures like that.

Its stacking the focus. When magnifying that much, you get a hairline Depth of field. Basically took 38 photos with a different part in focus and then combined them. This damsel is either frozen or dead so im sure he didnt move much ;-)

Great work Daan,At the right of the frame just before we go out of the photo it looks lie you pulled it in phootoshop and jusst caused a blur drag effect?

lol yeah and i didnt even realize how inanimate that dragon fly looked. i guess our buggy comrade IS dead.

yup, he was dead. This was a try-out, so i didnt pose this one. You move the lens backwards only tenths of a millimeter. I just have to figure out a way to move it without moving the rest, gues i have to buy more equipment again. Photography really isnt the best thing for your wallet :)
The blur at the right happened after stacking. I just forgot to crop it out. I cant stop down the lens, cause with the bellows you lose the function to set your F-number. There are probably more expensive bellows with the electronic part in it, but i just have to keep it all a bit low-budget now. And i also have to find a way to clean the bugs before stacking.

I use a FD auto bellows with the focus rail and adaptor to fit the eos body on the bellows. Then use a FD lens ( YAY there cheep ) now you can stop down with a cable on the bellows.

that is definatly much better than my first try. You will probably never be able to clean them propperly without damaging them; you can use your camera blower but even that may be too much. Try cropping tightly so as you dont have to spend too much time positioning it and legs and stuff dont get in the way, also a large apperture is a good thing, just use more photos, as when you get to this kind of magnification the resolution and diffraction become limiting instead. When i use a reversed lens for the same thing i set the apperture by putting a little bit of lens cleaning paper inbetween the apperture lever and the lens, perhaps that would help you too?

great stuff.

ti,

Wonderful work there! A really great 3D look to him, and I have never seen a 38 stacked shot; 17 is the most I have seen but that was on a live insect so time was tricky.
Out of interset why move the camera and not just adjust the focusing ring? Unless its such a fine line that through the viewfinder you can't tell how far you have gone well

Most reactions

New Topics

Back