First Storm Shots... (Lightning!!!!)

DannyB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok well this was my first attempt at shooting a storm and my goal was to get a lightning shot. I got a decent one and a few others, although I wish it were a slightly different setting. However I was at work and didn't have much of a choice. Here are a few I took the other day. Please tell me what you think and what I could have done different (especially in the lightning shot) to improve. Enjoy!!!

#1 I wish I had more structure in the sky

#2 Nothing special, just alot of rain

#3 Stupid light poles!!!

Weather moving in....
Cessna180.jpg

Just showin some rain...
Picture049.jpg

And the strike!!
Strike.jpg

Congrats on your first bolt! It's so exciting when you finally capture one. Thanks for posting.

Wow, that is sweet! Congratulations on the capture.

Only thing I would suggest is to use a smaller aperture next time, instead of the f/4 you did use. This will allow you to use much longer shutter speeds, increasing the likelihood you'll catch a bolt--not to mention it will increase your DOF. Although the DOF looks quite good!

Nice job!

i agree, a higher aperture would help with the lightning, same basic principle as fireworks really
but i do love that last shot, the lightning and sky plus that light from the area just looks fantasic

Congrats on your bolt capture. It is addicting, but be careful.

Next time, try to get out into an area with a little less foreground clutter, ie - all of the lamp posts. Background is good, like farmhouses, graineries, water towers, airports, etc, but you want them off in the distance. Let the bolts be your foreground performers.

Great start :thumbup:

Very cool. There's definitely something thrilling about capturing something on camera that you can normally only see for a split second. Like when you finally manage to catch a humming bird. That's pretty cool too.

Thanks for all the comments everyone :)

I can't tell you how many attempts I have and trying to catch a water drop, lol. I do have a shot of lightning hitting that building with the awning. The flash blinded the camera but you can see 2 large bolts in a reflection on a puddle and 2 small bolts rolling off the side of the building. It screwed up all of the badge readers and gates up there and they are still down. I closed up the hangar doors after this one, lol. Here is the shot...

Picture036-2.jpg

Most reactions

Back